From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: Does ObjectAda optimize at all??
Date: 1998/08/10
Date: 1998-08-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <35CE22D9.113EAEEC@cts.com>,
  Dave Wood <dpw@cts.com> wrote:
> [Please reply via email, as I rarely have a
> chance to check this group any more.]

Unfortunately, Dejanews does not give me that option, so its a bit difficult
to do. I'll hack it my posting this w/ "send me a copy", and forwarding the
copy to you.

> practical and logistical reasons.  OA/Win native
> doesn't give you a lot of options, relying
> on the combination of some hidden front-end
> optimizations, an inherently good code
> generator (though getting long in the teeth),
> and build-time stuff like unused subprogram
> elimination.

I noticed. What I'd like to know is what it *is* doing to optimize things? The
thing that got me curious was that I never got any "optimized away" messages
when I tried to look at things in the debugger. I don't know much about i386
instructions, but I do know that the Pentium has a base of RISC instructions.
You have to wonder about the efficiency of any compiler that doesn't optimize
variables away to registers on a RISC processor.

> Optimization options for the sake of optimization
> options aren't high on the list for that product,
> as (by and large) the users of that product are
> longing for other kinds of improvements and we
> need to prioritize accordingly.

When I called tech support, he said he never had a question about
optimizations before. I found that rather shocking, but if its true then you
are obviously right to concentrate on other things.

I suppose the typical response to slow code on a Wintel platform is "buy a
faster box".

> p.s.  I don't know what "function" the engineers
> were at when you called, since that implies they
> have a real life but we like to avoid that by keeping
> them busy round-the-clock.  :)  But, I might suggest

Cool. I was getting jealous. :-)

> you join our user group mailing list.  It's a very
> useful information source for our customers and more
> likely to be tracked by our engineers than c.l.a.

I'll look into it. Thanks.