From: cgreen@yosemite.atc.com (Christopher Green)
Subject: Re: Rational Apex
Date: 1998/08/05
Date: 1998-08-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6q9qi3$98n@universe.digex.net>,
David  Weller <dweller@universe.digex.net> wrote:
>In article <6q8ab6$3dg$1@newnews.startext.net>,
>Glenn <gdiehl@startext.net.nospam> wrote:
>>Any info would be appreciated...thanks.
>>
>Nothing really forces you to use Apex.  You can still use the compiler
>from the command line and (I think) library management can be done
>from the command line.  If you have a well-established development
>process, you should NEVER change it if it is working for you.  Even if
>you current compiler vendor says you have to.  Tell them that choice
>is unacceptable.  You would probably find it MUCH cheaper to switch to
>GNAT if your platform is supported.

Apex is not just a compiler; it's a way of life.

Apex has its own highly structured way of doing things.  It is insistent
about using its own directory structure and file naming conventions, at
a minimum.  It will reformat your code according to its defaults, unless
you force it not to.  It has its own CM subsystem (Summit) built in.

Apex can be run from the command line, but this does not reduce the need
to organize your code into Apex subsystems and views, and at least to
observe Apex file naming conventions.

Basically, Apex is a heavyweight solution to many of the problems that
arise in developing software on a very large scale.  But you need to use
Apex the way Rational designed it; if you try to impose your own way of
doing things on Apex, you will spend all your time fighting it rather
than getting work done.

--
Chris Green                                  Email cgreen@atc.com
Advanced Technology Center                   Phone (949) 583-9119