From: bruns@tetibm2.ee.TU-Berlin.DE (Warner Bruns)
Subject: GLADE for AIX 3.2 ??, was: Re: dumb question: how to "apply a patch" that is needed for GNAT
Date: 1998/08/04
Date: 1998-08-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <35C5F15D.C000481C@elca-matrix.ch>, Mats Weber
<Mats.Weber@elca-matrix.ch> writes:
> Warner Bruns wrote:
>
> >  Thank you for this answer.
> >  actually, some hours after i posted my question, I found this myself.
> >  But, thanks again.
> >    I tried to compile gcc 2.7.2 with ada included..
> >  after some hours of compilation (the RS6000 is a 8 year old 25 MHz
machine)
> >  the build died because "gnat1" could not be linked by "ld".
> >  The reason was that the TOC (table of contents, i assume) has had
> >  more than 65536 entries.
> >    Then I fetched the "binutils" in order to link with gnu-ld,
> >  but this gave the same error.
>
> Yes. You need to compile everything with the GCC -mminimal-toc flag.
>
> But I don't think you will get any version of GNAT to work safisfactorilly on
> AIX 3.x. You really need 4.1.4 here, mainly because the 3.x versions
have no threads.

> >    Isn't it a shame that one is forced to upgrade systems?
> >  I am shure that the compilers would run smoothly on the old OSes,
> >  would they only be compiled on the old OSes.
> >
> >    I do not want to change my running systems!!!
>
> If you want to maintain old stuff, do it with motorcycles, it's less
> frustrating :-)

 Thanks for the hint about "gcc -minimal-toc", I will try this
 (in some weeks).

     Do I need threads?
 I wanted to use GLADE to experiment with parallel programming with
 Ada. Now I do this in Fortran using PVM, but I thought it would be more
 elegant (and perhaps more portable) using Ada.
 I wanted to start only one program per machine.
 Would I need threads for this?

 Warner