From: bruns@tetibm2.ee.TU-Berlin.DE (Warner Bruns)
Subject: Re: dumb question: how to "apply a patch" that is needed for GNAT
Date: 1998/08/01
Date: 1998-08-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

 Thank you for this answer.
 actually, some hours after i posted my question, I found this myself.
 But, thanks again.
   I tried to compile gcc 2.7.2 with ada included..
 after some hours of compilation (the RS6000 is a 8 year old 25 MHz machine)
 the build died because "gnat1" could not be linked by "ld".
 The reason was that the TOC (table of contents, i assume) has had
 more than 65536 entries.
   Then I fetched the "binutils" in order to link with gnu-ld,
 but this gave the same error.
   I have given up to have "glade" on my AIXen (I have 7, but 5 of them
 run AIX 3.2 and will never be upgraded).

   GNAT is not the only compiler that i would like to have on
 this old set of machines. Normally i use Fortran, but i am stuck
 with IBM xlf-3.1, since this is the last version that runs on AIX 3.2.
 IBM does not supply the actual version xlf-5x for the old OS

   Isn't it a shame that one is forced to upgrade systems?
 I am shure that the compilers would run smoothly on the old OSes,
 would they only be compiled on the old OSes.

   I do not want to change my running systems!!!