* ADA/C++ to IDL converter?
@ 1998-07-31  0:00 David P. Brown
From: David P. Brown @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I need to parse ADA and C++ source code and extract the structures into
IDL.
Does anyone know if there is a software package that already does this?
Feel free to respond directly to me.

-Dave

* Re: ADA/C++ to IDL converter?
@ 1998-07-31  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35C1DAB1.3035002F@lmco.com>,
  david.p.brown@lmco.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to parse ADA and C++ source code and extract the structures into
> IDL.
> Does anyone know if there is a software package that already does this?
> Feel free to respond directly to me.

Hmm. I'm unfamiliar with "IDL" and FOLDOC reports 4 definitions:

1. Interactive Data analysis Language. Xerox. Built on Interlisp-D.

2. Interface Description Language (Snodgrass, UNC, Arizona).

3. Interface Definition Language (SunSoft, OMG).

4. Interactive Data Language (Research Systems).

T.E.D.

* Re: ADA/C++ to IDL converter?
@ 1998-07-31  0:00   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure he means definition 3.  I would browse the usual sites adahome.com,
and the Ada IC bindings sections.   I seems to remember that there has been
some work in this area.

dennison@telepath.com wrote in message <6pt01p$is$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>In article <35C1DAB1.3035002F@lmco.com>,
>  david.p.brown@lmco.com wrote:
>> I need to parse ADA and C++ source code and extract the structures into
>> IDL.

<snip>

@ 1998-07-31  0:00   ` David P. Brown
From: David P. Brown @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Your 3rd definition is the IDL I was refering to.

dennison@telepath.com wrote:

> In article <35C1DAB1.3035002F@lmco.com>,
>   david.p.brown@lmco.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to parse ADA and C++ source code and extract the structures into
> > IDL.
> > Does anyone know if there is a software package that already does this?
> > Feel free to respond directly to me.
>
> Hmm. I'm unfamiliar with "IDL" and FOLDOC reports 4 definitions:
>
> 1. Interactive Data analysis Language. Xerox. Built on Interlisp-D.
>
> 2. Interface Description Language (Snodgrass, UNC, Arizona).
>
> 3. Interface Definition Language (SunSoft, OMG).
>
> 4. Interactive Data Language (Research Systems).
>
> T.E.D.

> http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp   Create Your Own Free Member Forum

* dumb question: how to "apply a patch" that is needed for GNAT
@ 1998-07-31  0:00   ` Warner Bruns
From: Warner Bruns @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I am just trying to install GLADE for GNAT 3.10p on my
 RS-6000 running AIX 3.2.
 Since I could not find a binary distribution of GNAT
 for this old machine, I am trying to install GNAT 3.10p
 by bootstraping. I have installed a binary version of
 GNAT 3.05 and now try to compile GNAT 3.07 (the oldest source
 distribution I could find)

 gnat 3.07 says I need GCC 2.7.2 --- I got the sources of gcc 2.7.2
 gnat 3.07 says I have to apply some patches to the sources of gcc 2.7.2
 Citation of gnat's README:
"  -- Apply patches (gcc-272.dif) from the src directory. "

 The file "gcc-272.dif" and has a content like:

*** cse.old     Thu Nov 16 15:49:11 1995
--- cse.c       Sun Nov 26 22:37:16 1995
*************** cse_basic_block (from, to, next_branch,
*** 8405,8408 ****
--- 8405,8409 ----
    int to_usage = 0;
    int in_libcall_block = 0;
+   int num_insns = 0;

    /* Each of these arrays is undefined before max_reg, so only allocate
*************** cse_basic_block (from, to, next_branch,

 and so on ........

 It looks to me as if I have to start some program
 with some options to apply these "patches"
 but what program? and what options?

 ????? What do I do with this File ?????

* Re: ADA/C++ to IDL converter?
@ 1998-07-31  0:00 ` Gary W Smith
From: Gary W Smith @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35C1DAB1.3035002F@lmco.com>,
David P. Brown <david.p.brown@lmco.com> wrote:
->Hi,
->
->I need to parse ADA and C++ source code and extract the structures into
->IDL.
->Does anyone know if there is a software package that already does this?
->Feel free to respond directly to me.
->
->-Dave

I'm doing something along the lines for my dissertation.  Part of the
proof-of-concept automatically converts information in Ada Remote_Types
and RCI packages into corresponding IDL-like and Java RMI representations.
I use ASIS to extract the info from the Ada packages.  ASIS Rocks!

However:
  1. I use my own IDL... it's very similar to Corba.  At one time, it
     was pure Corba IDL.  At some time in the future, I'd like to
     re-introduce pure Corba IDL to it but I don't have time right now.
  2. It isn't in any type of releasable form and won't be for at
     least several more months.

So, I'm of no use other than to say that I feel your pain.

- gary

* Re: dumb question: how to "apply a patch" that is needed for GNAT
@ 1998-08-01  0:00     ` Frank Ecke
From: Frank Ecke @ 1998-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Frank Ecke @ 1998-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31 Jul 1998 23:44:15 GMT, Warner Bruns <bruns@tetibm2.ee.TU-Berlin.DE> wrote:

> It looks to me as if I have to start some program
> with some options to apply these "patches"
> but what program? and what options?
>

> ????? What do I do with this File ?????

Sorry, the first answer slipped through my fingers.

Usually, patches under Unix are applied to an original file using the program
``patch'', which normally reads the diff file directly from standard input,
as in:

   patch <patchfile

You should consult the man-page of patch for specific features pertinent to
your machine and version of AIX.  Although I have---so far---never patched
anything, I am assured that there is a README for patching (if not part of the
old distribution of gnat 3.07, you might wish to look at a newer one).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Frank Ecke, franke@minet.uni-jena.de

* Re: dumb question: how to "apply a patch" that is needed for GNAT
@ 1998-08-01  0:00     ` Warner Bruns
From: Warner Bruns @ 1998-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Thank you for this answer.
 actually, some hours after i posted my question, I found this myself.
 But, thanks again.
   I tried to compile gcc 2.7.2 with ada included..
 after some hours of compilation (the RS6000 is a 8 year old 25 MHz machine)
 the build died because "gnat1" could not be linked by "ld".
 The reason was that the TOC (table of contents, i assume) has had
 more than 65536 entries.
   Then I fetched the "binutils" in order to link with gnu-ld,
 but this gave the same error.
   I have given up to have "glade" on my AIXen (I have 7, but 5 of them
 run AIX 3.2 and will never be upgraded).

   GNAT is not the only compiler that i would like to have on
 this old set of machines. Normally i use Fortran, but i am stuck
 with IBM xlf-3.1, since this is the last version that runs on AIX 3.2.
 IBM does not supply the actual version xlf-5x for the old OS

   Isn't it a shame that one is forced to upgrade systems?
 I am shure that the compilers would run smoothly on the old OSes,
 would they only be compiled on the old OSes.

   I do not want to change my running systems!!!

@ 1998-08-03  0:00       ` Mats Weber
From: Mats Weber @ 1998-08-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warner Bruns wrote:

>  Thank you for this answer.
>  actually, some hours after i posted my question, I found this myself.
>  But, thanks again.
>    I tried to compile gcc 2.7.2 with ada included..
>  after some hours of compilation (the RS6000 is a 8 year old 25 MHz machine)
>  the build died because "gnat1" could not be linked by "ld".
>  The reason was that the TOC (table of contents, i assume) has had
>  more than 65536 entries.
>    Then I fetched the "binutils" in order to link with gnu-ld,
>  but this gave the same error.

Yes. You need to compile everything with the GCC -mminimal-toc flag.

But I don't think you will get any version of GNAT to work safisfactorilly on
AIX 3.x. You really need 4.1.4 here, mainly because the 3.x versions have no threads.

>    Isn't it a shame that one is forced to upgrade systems?
>  I am shure that the compilers would run smoothly on the old OSes,
>  would they only be compiled on the old OSes.
>
>    I do not want to change my running systems!!!

If you want to maintain old stuff, do it with motorcycles, it's less
frustrating :-)

* GLADE for AIX 3.2 ??, was: Re: dumb question: how to "apply a patch" that is needed for GNAT
@ 1998-08-04  0:00       ` Warner Bruns
From: Warner Bruns @ 1998-08-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <35C5F15D.C000481C@elca-matrix.ch>, Mats Weber
<Mats.Weber@elca-matrix.ch> writes:
> Warner Bruns wrote:
>
> >  Thank you for this answer.
> >  actually, some hours after i posted my question, I found this myself.
> >  But, thanks again.
> >    I tried to compile gcc 2.7.2 with ada included..
> >  after some hours of compilation (the RS6000 is a 8 year old 25 MHz
machine)
> >  the build died because "gnat1" could not be linked by "ld".
> >  The reason was that the TOC (table of contents, i assume) has had
> >  more than 65536 entries.
> >    Then I fetched the "binutils" in order to link with gnu-ld,
> >  but this gave the same error.
>
> Yes. You need to compile everything with the GCC -mminimal-toc flag.
>
> But I don't think you will get any version of GNAT to work safisfactorilly on
> AIX 3.x. You really need 4.1.4 here, mainly because the 3.x versions
have no threads.

> >    Isn't it a shame that one is forced to upgrade systems?
> >  I am shure that the compilers would run smoothly on the old OSes,
> >  would they only be compiled on the old OSes.
> >
> >    I do not want to change my running systems!!!
>
> If you want to maintain old stuff, do it with motorcycles, it's less
> frustrating :-)

 Thanks for the hint about "gcc -minimal-toc", I will try this
 (in some weeks).

     Do I need threads?
 I wanted to use GLADE to experiment with parallel programming with
 Ada. Now I do this in Fortran using PVM, but I thought it would be more
 elegant (and perhaps more portable) using Ada.
 I wanted to start only one program per machine.
 Would I need threads for this?

 Warner

* Re: GLADE for AIX 3.2 ??, was: Re: dumb question: how to "apply a patch" that is needed for GNAT
@ 1998-08-04  0:00         ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1998-08-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Bruns

Warner>  I wanted to use GLADE to experiment with parallel programming
Warner>  with Ada. [...] Would I need threads for this?

Yes.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@ada.eu.org