* Re: Recommendations on a debugger
@ 1998-07-29  0:00 ` Corey Ashford
From: Corey Ashford @ 1998-07-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dennis Gross wrote in message <35BF762F.3CBA70E8@pica.army.mil>...
>Can someone recommend a decent debugger "tool" for Ada running in an NT
>environment.  (We have been unhappy with the debugger that comes with
>the Aonix Object Ada.)
>
>Tom McBride   mcbride@pica.army.mil   (or mcbridt@ix.netcom.com)

Unfortunately, a debugger has to have intimate knowledge of the
way the compiler puts out debug information in order for you to be able to debug
Ada code at the source level.  This is due to the complexity of
Ada over languages such as C and lack of standards with respect
to debugging information formats.  Even C++ debuggers are compiler
intimate (hey.. did I coin a new phrase?).

In other words, if you switch debuggers, you'll have to switch
compilers too.  There are several NT based Ada compilers available -
GNAT, and Rational's Apex NT (plug plug) among them.

- Corey

* Recommendations on a debugger
@ 1998-07-29  0:00 Dennis Gross
From: Dennis Gross @ 1998-07-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-08-01  0:00   ` falis
From: falis @ 1998-08-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In other words, if you switch debuggers, you'll have to switch
> compilers too.  There are several NT based Ada compilers
available -
> GNAT, and Rational's Apex NT (plug plug) among them.

Right!  Try using the MS DevStudio debugger.  Thr completely
redone debugger fo ObjectAda will be out late this year.

Hey, we can be self-serving too!

- Ed