From: dennison@telepath.com
Subject: Re: backing up
Date: 1998/07/23
Date: 1998-07-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <35B74653.30D657F8@world-net.net>,
  Rick <hicks@world-net.net> wrote:
> I want to implement some type of status indicator, showing 0-100% of
> progress.  Is there a way I can back the cursor up on the same line and
> replace the output that is already there?

There is no standard way to do this, since not all command shells support
this feature (although you'd have a tough time finding one that doesn't these
days).

If your terminal supports ANSI control characters, I believe an ESC followed
by A, B, C, or D maps to the arrow keys. That might work through Text_IO on
your implementation.

Another option if you are on a Unix platform is interfacing to the curses
library. Your vendor might even supply a packge to do this for you.

However, I'm not sure why you need to back the cursor up at all. A
"Text_IO.Put ("#");Text_IO.Flush;" should do the trick.

T.E.D.