From: "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com>
Subject: Re: Compilers (was Re: SGI Developer Magic - Ada95)
Date: 1998/07/15
Date: 1998-07-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Viqar Abbasi wrote in message <35ACBD51.6777@cae.ca>...
>Thanks for the help on this issue.  I'm actually glad to hear that
>the SGI compiler is based on GNAT, since GNAT has been the best
>we've dealt with for C/Fortran/Ada interfacing.  I'm not sure
>exactly what kind of problems people have had with the newer
>versions.  Suffice to say, we'll need a support contract, with
>whichever compiler is ultimately chosen for the task.  One of
>my colleagues is going to investigate APEX as well... do any of
>you helpful people have any experience with this one?

Well, the the Solaris and SGI gnat projects to which I referred in my
earlier post were actually developed in the Apex environment hosted on
Solaris, using the Apex RCI.

The reason Apex was hosted on Solaris is that one of the tools (Rational
Rose, I believe it was) was not available hosted on SGI.

Apex comes with RCI customizations for gnat (version 3.07 at the time we
obtained Apex), but the customizations were unsatisfactory, so I re-did
them, and included Posix bindings (the SGI-supplied forest on SGI, and
florist on Solaris).

The reason for using gnat was that (at least at the time) Apex's Ada95
implementation was lacking so many of the features of the language as to be
unusable.

So, basically, we used the facilities of Apex for CM and source code
development, with its many powerful features, but not for code generation,
or debugging.  We used the SGI debugger on the SGIs and the Ada-aware GDB on
the Solaris targets.

Both our Solaris and SGI systems were on a common network (but with distinct
NIS domains), with the files being served to all workstations by a
four-processor Onyx, so we used the rsh_nfs RCI connection mode.

 Hope this helps,

David C. Hoos, Sr.