* Re: Qt/Ada binding
       [not found]   ` <EvFpJ9.9s@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl>
@ 1998-07-02  0:00     ` Tony R. Ambardar
From: Tony R. Ambardar @ 1998-07-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu (sam@ada.eu.org) wrote:

: You have other choices:
:   1) Use TASH (Tcl/Tk in Ada): you get a GUI portable on Unices, Mac
:   2) Use AdaJNI or any other product letting you write your GUI by
:   3) Write a binding to Gtk (see http://www.gtk.org/, the GIMP[1]

I've been working recently on a GTK+ binding for Ada95 using GNAT. It
currently supports about 20 common widgets and most of their related
functions, and tries to make good use of tagged types and class-wide
functions. The GTK+ toolkit is written in a very object-oriented style
of C, and fits together nicely with Ada. It is my preference for a
GPLed Ada GUI toolkit for X11. The bindings are very much in alpha,
but I think someone with a little GTK experience would find them very
useful.

Current TODOs include:

1) Improvements to the callback system to make it more general and
   typesafe.

2) Set up automatic generation of the bindings from a formal spec.
   This would be useful in the longterm since GTK seems to be in heavy
   development.  Currently everything is done by hand, and is somewhat
   tedious. Once something is in place, I plan to make a public
   release, although there's no definite schedule right now.

Tony Ambardar
tonya @ ee . ubc . ca

* Re: Qt/Ada binding (FLTK)
       [not found]       ` <swhalenEvFHB6.Mqz@netcom.com>
@ 1998-07-02  0:00         ` Matthew Benjamin
From: Matthew Benjamin @ 1998-07-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for this post.

I haven't seen such a thing--the first reference to fltk was about a month
ago, so I'm not surprised.  I'm very interested in the fltk approach--I'd
thought of working on such a thing, but haven't started looking in to any
details as yet.

Fltk has speed/lightness, cross-platform capability, and like the author says,
looks great.  (I rather value that, I have to say.)

Matt