* Communication between Ada programs and C++ programs
@ 1998-06-15  0:00 Philippe GROSSEMY
From: Philippe GROSSEMY @ 1998-06-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

What are the best ways to perform asynchronous communications between an
Ada program and a C++ program in the following configurations :

	- both programs located on the same machine.
 	- the first program located on onechine and the second program on another
machine, both machines running on the same Operating System (UNIX :
HP-UXB10.20).
	- the first program located on one machine and the second program on
another machine, each machine running on a different Operating System (UNIX
: HP_UXB10.20 and Windows NT).

francois.guyot@isr.alcatel-alsthom.fr
	or
philippe.grossemy@isr.alcatel-alsthom.fr

* Re: Communication between Ada programs and C++ programs
@ 1998-06-15  0:00 ` Brad Balfour
From: Brad Balfour @ 1998-06-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bd9849$27a4fac0$6cc811ac@grossemy>, "Philippe GROSSEMY" <philippe.grossemy@isr.alcatel-alsthom.fr> wrote:

>What are the best ways to perform asynchronous communications between an
>Ada program and a C++ program in the following configurations :
>
>        - both programs located on the same machine.
>        - the first program located on onechine and the second program on
> another
>machine, both machines running on the same Operating System (UNIX :
>HP-UXB10.20).
>        - the first program located on one machine and the second program on
>another machine, each machine running on a different Operating System (UNIX
>: HP_UXB10.20 and Windows NT).

All of the scenarios you describe are easily managed when using CORBA.
CORBA ORBs are available with mappings from IDL to Ada 95 and from IDL to C++.
This allows seamless interoperability between the languages via CORBA 2.0's
IIOP protocol regardless of whether the two programs are on the same machine
or different machines running the same or different operating systems.

The IDL keyword "oneway" can be used to invoke an operation without waiting
for the results to be returned. Ada 95 tasking can also be used to achieve the
goal of  asynchronous communications.

Objective Interface provides an Ada 95 ORB called ORBexpress. Check out
http://www.ois.com/ for more information on ORBexpress.

--
Brad Balfour
Director of Technology Services

* Re: Communication between Ada programs and C++ programs
@ 1998-06-15  0:00 ` Jean-Claude Mahieux
From: Jean-Claude Mahieux @ 1998-06-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brad Balfour suggests that CORBA is a good solution. I agree with that. He could also
have mentionned Top Graph'X OrbAda, a full Ada95 implementation of CORBA. See
http://www.topgraphx.com