* DOS or Windows Console I/O
@ 2003-08-13 21:00 Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-13 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I've asked this before, but accidents in my system (windows and my CPU
collided dramatically, there was no survivors hehe)...so I'd like to, if I
may, inquire one more time.

From what I've read in the Ada95 RM and on multiple source examples, I dont
believe Ada95, be it for DOS or Windows Console Text mode, does colors, or
does rectangular scrolling, or nothing of the sort.  (Pascal programmers
will recognize the commands I'm looking for in Ada :-) and for that matter,
they will also know I'm looking for a Crt Library equivalent for ada :-)..

Basically I'd like to know if there's anything out there that will allow me
to clear the screen (DOS or Windows Console) position the cursor at X, Y,
have somekind of Window statement (for Text mode rectangular semi windowing,
Text color and background changing, Cursor On or Off, etc etc.  I dont want
a full T.U.I. like an N Curses library I've been suggested when I last
asked, .just implementations of these functions (with perhaps a bit more
:-)...

URL's, Source samples, would be highly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time :-)

--
St�phane Richard
Senior Software and Technology Supervisor

* Re: DOS or Windows Console I/O (Addendum)
@ 2003-08-13 21:05 ` Stephane Richard
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-13 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

If course if that NCurses library's URL could be sent to me, it just occured
that part of the code I need mide reside in that library.  So if someone
knows where to get it, please let me know.

--

@ 2003-08-13 21:25 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2003-08-13 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8Gx_a.2094$jw4.1318@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've asked this before, but accidents in my system (windows and my CPU
> collided dramatically, there was no survivors hehe)...so I'd like to, if I
> may, inquire one more time.
>
> From what I've read in the Ada95 RM and on multiple source examples, I dont
> believe Ada95, be it for DOS or Windows Console Text mode, does colors, or
> does rectangular scrolling, or nothing of the sort.  (Pascal programmers
> will recognize the commands I'm looking for in Ada :-) and for that matter,
> they will also know I'm looking for a Crt Library equivalent for ada :-)..

No, as a Pascal programmer I do not recognize that at all.

Are you perhaps thinking of a particular Pascal compiler on a particular
operating system ?  I do not believe any of what you describe is in the
Pascal standard.

* Re: DOS or Windows Console I/O
@ 2003-08-13 23:56   ` Stephane Richard
From: Stephane Richard @ 2003-08-13 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I didn't say the "pascal standard", I said Pascal as in Pascal compilers,
it's called the Crt Unit, and it gives fonctions such as:
TextColor
TextBackground
GotoXY
Window   functions....Free Pascal has it, Borland pascal had it, Virtual
Pascal has it, GNU Pascal I believe uses something different, but I'd have
to double check if it has a Crt Unit or not.

Anyway I'm not looking for Pascal on this forum, but these are the kind of
functions I'm looking for. :-)
--

@ 2003-08-14  0:03   ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2003-08-14  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If course if that NCurses library's URL could be sent to me, it just
occured
> that part of the code I need mide reside in that library.  So if someone
> knows where to get it, please let me know.

Well..ncurses is part of the GNU project...how about

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/ncurses/ncurses-5.3.tar.gz

As for your other non quoted statement....I was a pascal programmer for a
while  and I have no idea what you are talking about...

* Re: DOS or Windows Console I/O
@ 2003-08-14  1:23 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2003-08-14  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephane Richard wrote:

> From what I've read in the Ada95 RM and on multiple source examples, I dont
> believe Ada95, be it for DOS or Windows Console Text mode, does colors, or
> does rectangular scrolling, or nothing of the sort.  (Pascal programmers
> will recognize the commands I'm looking for in Ada :-) and for that matter,
> they will also know I'm looking for a Crt Library equivalent for ada :-)..

I've used Turbo Pascal, and know what you're talking about, but they're
not part of Pascal.

If you're using DOS or Win 95/98/ME, you can load ANSI.SYS and use ANSI
escape sequences to do what you want. This has the advantage that it's
portable to most text windows on other systems, such a Xterms on UNIX
systems.

If you're using NT/2k/XP, that won't work. You need to get something
that makes the NT calls. For that I've used NT_Console by Jerry van
Dijk. The URL is not included with the distribution, but I suspect a
little work with Google should find it for you.

--
Jeff Carter
"I wave my private parts at your aunties."

* Re: DOS or Windows Console I/O
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-14  5:16 ` Gautier Write-only
From: Gautier Write-only @ 2003-08-14  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

For Windows I'd look at...
  http://users.ncrvnet.nl/gmvdijk/packages.html#CONSOLE

For DOS (and GNAT) you'll in dos_paqs.zip, URL below,
--  File:            pctextsc.ads
--                   Intended compatibility with Turbo Pascal CRT unit.

package PC_TextScreen is

  screen_base_x: integer:= 1;
  screen_base_y: integer:= 1;

  procedure TextMode(mode:integer);
  procedure GotoXY(x,y:integer);
  procedure PutXY(x,y:integer; s:string);
  function WhereX return integer;
  function WhereY return integer;
  procedure ClrScr;

end PC_TextScreen;
You can extend it as you like...
HTH
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

* Re: DOS or Windows Console I/O
@ 2003-08-14 11:46   ` Dmytry Lavrov
From: Dmytry Lavrov @ 2003-08-14 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <8Gx_a.2094$jw4.1318@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, "Stephane Richard" <stephane.richard@verizon.net> writes:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I've asked this before, but accidents in my system (windows and my CPU
> > collided dramatically, there was no survivors hehe)...so I'd like to, if I
> > may, inquire one more time.
> >
> > From what I've read in the Ada95 RM and on multiple source examples, I dont
> > believe Ada95, be it for DOS or Windows Console Text mode, does colors, or
> > does rectangular scrolling, or nothing of the sort.  (Pascal programmers
> > will recognize the commands I'm looking for in Ada :-) and for that matter,
> > they will also know I'm looking for a Crt Library equivalent for ada :-)..
>
> No, as a Pascal programmer I do not recognize that at all.
>
> Are you perhaps thinking of a particular Pascal compiler on a particular
> operating system ?  I do not believe any of what you describe is in the
> Pascal standard.

He mean TurboPascal...
CRT unit in TP allow to scroll up and down,change colors,change video
mode,etc...
of output from standard textIO to console.
i.e.
TextColor(10);
Writeln(' Hello, World!. (color 10,green) ');
{and this "10" green looks really "poisonous"}

http://dmytrylavrov.narod.ru

* Re: DOS or Windows Console I/O
@ 2003-08-14 11:49   ` Ross Higson
From: Ross Higson @ 2003-08-14 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want a fairly complete screen package for 98/NT/2000 etc, I have
an Ada Terminal Emulator package that I use to replace the Windows/DOS
console I/O subsystem. It supports font attributes and colors, resizable
screens and views, addressable screen coordinates, scrolling regions etc
etc. It supports ANSI control sequences, but you don't need to use them
- a full Ada API is included, as well as a replacement for Text_IO that
is good enough for many applications.

Requires GNAT 3.14 or later, and also GWindows 1.1.

You can get it at http://www.zipworld.com.au/~rossh.

Ross Higson.