From: John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Ultimate Language feature list
Date: 1998/05/14
Date: 1998-05-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

mfb@mbunix.mitre.org (Michael F Brenner) wrote:
>It is interesting that the original feature list is dynamic
>(garbage collection, etc.) and as opposed to static, and is
>therefore an ideal system to use for non-realtime systems.
>Several of the features in the list would be unusable for
>satellites that must continually fly for dozens of years.

There are features of all languages that some might consider as
"unusable" for satellites. In fact I know from experience that in the
early days of Ada 83 usage in space, there were quite a few codes of
practice that forbade the use of generics, tasking, access types and so
on. Anything "dynamic" seemed to be considered a bad thing.

My personal opinion is that this is ridiculous. It is possible to use
dynamicism and still be safe and reliable, it just requires more
discipline from the programmer and, in some cases,  a clear understanding
of how a feature is implemented by your choice of compiler.

--
Best Regards
John McCabe

Any opinions expressed are mine and based on my own experience. They
  should in no way be taken as the opinion of anyone I am currently
     working with, or of the company I am currently working for.
       If you have a problem with anything I say, SPEAK TO ME!
                (remove "nospam." to reply by e-mail)