From: mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (Marc Wachowitz)
Subject: Re: Java and Ada ISO standardization
Date: 1998/05/12
Date: 1998-05-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:
> Can someone clarify what is going on the ISO Java standardization effort.
> I assumed the effort was to standardize the language, which of course has
> nothing at all to do with standardizing the JVM, which is an (almost)
> orthogonal issue.

Excerpt from URL: http://java.sun.com/pr/1997/nov/pr971117.qna.html

  "[...]
   Q: Which Java technologies will Sun submit through this process and
   when?

   A: It is premature for us to outline a timetable for our submission.
   We have stated in our responses to the comments of the JTC1 National
   Bodies that we will submit the specifications for the Java platform
   because this is what is needed to support Write Once Run Anywhere. The
   specifications for the Java Virtual Machine, the Java Language, and
   the core Java class libraries together comprise the Java Platform
   specification.
   [...]"

Further information can be found on Sun's web server (they have an entry
to a local search engine at the bottom of many pages, including this one).

-- Marc Wachowitz <mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de>
   who hopes that the JVM will become much more independent from the
   language, both wrt. available facilities and wrt. its specification,
   and serve as a practical (portable, efficient and convenient) target
   for many high-level languages, providing e.g. garbage collection,
   threads, reflection and dynamic loading.