From: "Bob Mikkelsen" <bobmik@access.digex.net>
Subject: Generic package exporting a type with a rep spec
Date: 1998/05/11
Date: 1998-05-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Is there any good way to construct a generic package which exports a data
structure whose rep spec may vary on separate instantiations?

We are trying to solve a problem where we have data coming in from various
sources.  All the data requires similar processing when it gets to us, but
when it is imported or exported to the sources, it may have slightly
different forms: sometimes 7 bytes, sometimes 11.

We are trying to generalize the representation of the data in the generic by
bringing the data size into the generic with a generic formal parameter, but
when we try to use this value in the rep spec, the complier gets very fussy
(a static value is required).

Any solution not requiring C will be welcomed.