From: warwicks@telusplanet.net (Chris Warwick)
Subject: Re: Space Station S/W in Ada -- No Tasking?
Date: 1998/05/08
Date: 1998-05-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

The design for the chunk of flight software that I saw certainly had Ada
tasks... So, I presume there is no restriction to prevent the use of Ada
tasks... The problem we had was the Alsys Ada83 compiler was taking too long
for a task context switch and thus we were unable to determine the respose
time for an interrupt.

The other stuggle we had was with the fact that, despite the fact that we were
trying to use static memory definitions, the compiler still insisted on
pre-loading memory as part of its startup operation. Thus the code was taking
so long to start that the watch-dog timer would keep re-starting the
processor, i.e., our keep alive interrupt handler was never getting started.

This is item number 2 in my list of why I hate some Ada83 compilers. Item
number 1 was with the Alsys DOS compiler that thought it was reasonable for
DOS interrupts to halt all Ada processing in all tasks. It has been pointed
out to me that this is 100% compliant to the LRM, and to use Mr. Dewar's
words, makes the compiler 100% useless...