* Missing "crtbegin.o" in GNAT 3.10
@ 1998-05-02  0:00 Daren Scot Wilson
From: Daren Scot Wilson @ 1998-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using GNAT 3.10, trying to compile an uncreative little "hello world"
program, the linker fails, unable to find crtbegin.o.   Is this supposed
to be supplied in the GNAT 3.10 binary distribution, somehow accidently
left out?  Is it to be compiled from some source code?  What to do?

--
Daren Scot Wilson
darenw@pipeline.com

"It's a sorry enough situation that Microsoft has a ring
planted in most of our noses, but they now..."

       ...read the rest at http://www.vcnet.com/bms/

* Re: Missing "crtbegin.o" in GNAT 3.10
@ 1998-05-03  0:00 ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1998-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <354BB0A7.38DE9EA9@pipeline.com>, Daren says...

>Using GNAT 3.10, trying to compile an uncreative little "hello world"
>program, the linker fails, unable to find crtbegin.o.   Is this supposed
>to be supplied in the GNAT 3.10 binary distribution, somehow accidently
>left out?  Is it to be compiled from some source code?  What to do?

WHat system? what platform? what version of the OS?

Are we to guess? Ok, I'll guess, you are on red-hat 5 (libc6), intel box?
if so, gnat3.10 does not support libc6 based libraries.

Nasser

* Re: Missing "crtbegin.o" in GNAT 3.10
@ 1998-05-05  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

bob said

<<As you found out, gnat replaces gcc. If you have re-installed gcc-2.7.2.3,
you can do what I did. Make a copy of gcc as gcc.2.7.2.3. Then install
gnat. Make a copy of gcc as gcc.2.7.2.1. Now make gcc a symbolic link to
the one you want to use at any time. Very clumsy but it is working until I
get gnat rebuilt for 2.7.2.3. During the rebuild of gnat, got an error
looking for something call spitbol. When I get it rebuilt, will post
everything.

If you got an "error looking for something call spitbol", it means you
did not carefully follow the instructions!

* Re: GNAT disturbs C/C++ compiling
@ 1998-05-05  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daren said

<<Interesting side-note:  I'm trying to compile a Sather-K compiler. Like
a lot of source code distrubutions, you start by typing "./configure".
When GNAT installed its own gcc-related files, configure ceased
working.  This is a serious problem, so until GNAT cooperates with the
gcc I'm using, I'm avoiding it.

It is perfectly possible to install GNAT in a manner that avoids disturbing
an existing gcc installation. Both the chat@gnat.com and this newsgroup
have frequently addressed the issue.

* Re: Missing "crtbegin.o" in GNAT 3.10
@ 1998-05-05  0:00     ` bob
From: bob @ 1998-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

As you found out, gnat replaces gcc. If you have re-installed gcc-2.7.2.3,
you can do what I did. Make a copy of gcc as gcc.2.7.2.3. Then install
gnat. Make a copy of gcc as gcc.2.7.2.1. Now make gcc a symbolic link to
the one you want to use at any time. Very clumsy but it is working until I
get gnat rebuilt for 2.7.2.3. During the rebuild of gnat, got an error
looking for something call spitbol. When I get it rebuilt, will post
everything.

bob

Daren Scot Wilson <darenw@pipeline.com> wrote in article
<354E806C.12BDBE0B@pipeline.com>...

@ 1998-05-05  0:00   ` Daren Scot Wilson
From: Daren Scot Wilson @ 1998-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Red Hat 5 - which I regret installing, so many things don't work as well
as the older slackware I had before.  Linux kernel is 2.0.32.

gcc 2.7.2.3.    GNAT overwrote gcc with 2.7.2.1, and some C++ programs
and other things ceased working.  So I re-installed 2.7.2.3.

Hardware is Pentium 133, 32 Meg RAM, several gigs hard disk.

--
Daren Scot Wilson
darenw@pipeline.com
www.newcolor.com
------------------
Quote of the Month:

"It's a sorry enough situation that Microsoft has a ring
planted in most of our noses, but they now..."

       ...read the rest at http://www.vcnet.com/bms/

* GNAT disturbs C/C++ compiling
@ 1998-05-05  0:00   ` Daren Scot Wilson
From: Daren Scot Wilson @ 1998-05-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interesting side-note:  I'm trying to compile a Sather-K compiler. Like
a lot of source code distrubutions, you start by typing "./configure".
When GNAT installed its own gcc-related files, configure ceased
working.  This is a serious problem, so until GNAT cooperates with the
gcc I'm using, I'm avoiding it.

What other free (or really cheap) Ada compilers are available for trying
out the language?

--
Daren Scot Wilson
darenw@pipeline.com

@ 1998-05-07  0:00     ` Richard Pinkall-Pollei
From: Richard Pinkall-Pollei @ 1998-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 05 May 1998 02:58:52 +0000,
Daren Scot Wilson <darenw@pipeline.com> wrote:

>Red Hat 5 - which I regret installing, so many things don't work as well
>as the older slackware I had before.  Linux kernel is 2.0.32.

Works better than Slackware for me.  Anyway, there are a couple of
known problems with 3.10p on glibc systems (which RH 5.0 is).  One
requires a patch to one of the library modules to correct the length
of a system buffer that changed, and the other is a configuration
patch to point to a correct library.

I've had problems with previous Gnat GCC versions not being able to
compile the kernel, so I normally install Gnat in a seperate library
structure and point my environment to it when necessary.  I have
a RH5.0 compatible RPM and SRPM for gnat 3.10p, but they are quite
large, so I don't have enough room at my ISP for it.  However, if
you have access to an FTP site with enough space (6.7 and 5.5 meg
respectively) I can put it there for you.  Alternatively, I can mail
it to you as a multi-part mail message if your ISP will allow it
(I've had trouble with one university account that didn't allow
enough space).  Finally, I can mail just the patches and spec file
to build the RPM and SRPM yourself -- all you need to add is the
gnat 3.10p binary distribution and documentation files, create
the RPM and SRPM file, and install it.

Hope this helps.

| The White Raven Institute    | Business:   rpollei@crinet.com        |
| for the Terminally Curious   | Personal:   whraven@msn.fullfeed.com  |
| PGP Public Keys              | http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~whraven  |
| available by request         |                                       |