* Ada to C (C++) Translator
@ 1998-04-10  0:00 Robert J. Curry
From: Robert J. Curry @ 1998-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't want to appear like a heretic but... is there an Ada to C or C++
translator?
Bob Curry

* Re: Ada to C (C++) Translator
@ 1998-04-10  0:00 ` Convey
From: Convey @ 1998-04-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes... that *would* be a software downgrade, wouldn't it???

Robert J. Curry wrote:

> I don't want to appear like a heretic but... is there an Ada to C or C++
> translator?
> Bob Curry

* Re: Ada to C (C++) Translator
@ 1998-04-12  0:00 ` David  Weller
From: David  Weller @ 1998-04-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <352E8A47.50CEB1AC@ccgate.hac.com>,
Robert J. Curry <rjcurry@ccgate.hac.com> wrote:
>I don't want to appear like a heretic but... is there an Ada to C or C++
>translator?
>Bob Curry

Bob,
Short answer: No.

Long answer: It's possible, but the resulting amount of money would be
FAR greater than just recompiling the Ada with an Ada95 compiler
(budget includes modifications to get it to compile :-) and linking it
using the standardized C interfaces.

You'll only appear like a heretic if you reject the "long answer" :-)

--
  DVD vs. DIVX: The Truth Is Out There => http://www.riva.com/dvd_divx.html
	Dear Spammers: Your crap gets autoforwarded to uce@ftc.gov

* Re: Ada to C (C++) Translator
@ 1998-04-16  0:00   ` Ara Kassabian
From: Ara Kassabian @ 1998-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was going to ask the same question, so I guess this saved me some typing. :)

The problem is, in my case, that I would like to provide the framework for a
CORBA server that does RDBMS loading of CORBA objects. I already have some
considerable amount of code written in Ada95 using GNAT. Unfortunately, most of
our current development is in C++ (using SPARCworks or--gasp!--Visual C++) or
Java. It *is* possible to interface C++ and Ada95 but it is often not pretty.
Java and Ada95...? A translator would have worked better.

Maybe this should be a new GNU project...? (hint, hint) :)

Ara Kassabian            akass@worldnet.att.net
                         akassabian@logicon.com (work)

* Re: Ada to C (C++) Translator
@ 1998-04-16  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1998-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The answer is basically 'no'. This is a much discussed subject in this
newsgroup. I think an evaluation of the situation yields the answer why: an
Ada to C++ translator would require a person familiar with both languages,
who also thought that C++ was a _preferable_ language to Ada. No such person
exists (or ever will). ;-)

--
Nick Roberts, Croydon, UK
Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com