From: "Alex R. Mosteo" <devnull@mailinator.com>
Subject: Re: ANN: Basil -- Internet Message (email) and MIME library for Ada v 1.0
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:30:18 +0200
Date: 2008-07-24T12:30:18+02:00	[thread overview]

google1@hafdconsulting.com wrote:

> On Jul 23, 6:07 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
>> Right, that's why I was talking about the SMTP *client* part of AWS.
>> But of course, you decide how you speak with the customer's MTA.
>
> I think you are confused about how mail systems typically work. The
> only thing that typically needs to serve as an SMTP *client* or do
> anything with SMTP at all is Mail Server (Mail Transfer Agent) the
> only reason why a Mail User Agent would deal with SMTP is if it wanted
> to support one of the newer methods of accessing its parent server
> such
> as SMTP TLS. Otherwise there are many other non-SMTP ways of accessing
> a server, at least one of which is almost surely more appropriate.
>
>> > I am considering using AWS for the web interface portion, but then again
>> > you have the same integration problem. People want their web applications
>> > to run behind the web server *they* choose (or at least Apache) they don't
>> > want a stand-alone system. [...]
>>
>> If you want to integrate with the customer's web server, I'm afraid
>> your best option is Java Servlets :(
>
> . . .
>
> Web servers provide many APIs, from CGI to loadable modules. As Java
> Servlets are one option produced by a software company for its
> proprietary language that is not Ada, no, I don't think that would
> be the best option given my constraints.
>
>> I didn't want to offend you but yes, this is small. Compare this with
>
> Ludovic, not to offend *you* but I've not seen any evidence
> on this thread that you don't want to offend me. It seems that
> is all you've tried to do.

Now this is not my cake and probably I will pay for it, but since years Ludovic
has always been an extremely polite and insightful poster, and never a troll
(indeed, in comp.lang.ada there are no more than one or none trolls). In his
posts in this thread I don't detect any intention to be offensive. I think
it's all a miscomunication in the channel, a dissonance in the endpoints.

(snip)

> I hope to have content-dispensation and few other things
> in this project in a week or so. I also have some other
> projects in mind for the next few months. I'm currently
> planning a Unicode library and hope to have a spec written
> for that soon.

There's a very complete unicode library, as part of [1]. Admittedly, I find it
lacking just the final bits to make working with the most common combinations
(e.g. utf8) as easy as with plain Strings; now you need a little bit of glue
over it. Just mentioning, in case you weren't aware.

Cheers,

Alex.

[1] https://libre.adacore.com/xmlada/