* Problems with libflorist2008 in Ubuntu
@ 2009-01-05 20:32 Michael Bode
From: Michael Bode @ 2009-01-05 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

are there known problems with libflorist2008? I've used libflorist2006
in Lenny without problems in one of my programs. Then I tried to
compile the same program on Ubuntu 8.10 which has libflorist2008 and
got lots of undefined symbols in libflorist.so.2008. I don't have the
details right here but can provide them if someone has an idea.

* Re: Problems with libflorist2008 in Ubuntu
@ 2009-01-06 12:38 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2009-01-06 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Bode wrote:

> are there known problems with libflorist2008?

You should be able to check that using the command "reportbug
libflorist2008" (on Debian-based systems).

> I've used libflorist2006
> in Lenny without problems in one of my programs. Then I tried to
> compile the same program on Ubuntu 8.10 which has libflorist2008 and
> got lots of undefined symbols in libflorist.so.2008. I don't have the
> details right here but can provide them if someone has an idea.

I have had problems with Florist on Ubuntu earlier.  I think I ended
up compiling my own binary package.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"There are only two types of data:
                         Data which has been backed up

* Re: Problems with libflorist2008 in Ubuntu
@ 2009-01-06 20:10   ` Michael Bode
From: Michael Bode @ 2009-01-06 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen <jspa@nykredit.dk> writes:

> Michael Bode wrote:
>
>> are there known problems with libflorist2008?
>
> You should be able to check that using the command "reportbug
> libflorist2008" (on Debian-based systems).

There are no open bugs on bugs.launchpad.net.

> I have had problems with Florist on Ubuntu earlier.  I think I ended
> up compiling my own binary package.

That's what one gets for not using Debian, I guess ;-)

* Re: Problems with libflorist2008 in Ubuntu
@ 2009-01-07  0:47     ` David Sauvage
From: David Sauvage @ 2009-01-07  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 jan, 21:10, Michael Bode <m.g.b...@web.de> wrote:
> Jacob Sparre Andersen <j...@nykredit.dk> writes:
>
> > Michael Bode wrote:
>
> >> are there known problems with libflorist2008?
>
> > You should be able to check that using the command "reportbug
> > libflorist2008" (on Debian-based systems).
>
> There are no open bugs on bugs.launchpad.net.
>
> > I have had problems with Florist on Ubuntu earlier.  I think I ended
> > up compiling my own binary package.
>
> That's what one gets for not using Debian, I guess ;-)

Hi,

i created on my launchpad PPA [1] a modified version [2] of
libflorist2008 called libflorist2008-1ubuntu1 that ship florist in
static library mode.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~pariakanet/+archive
Add the following repository information to your apt sources.list
entries :
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pariakanet/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pariakanet/ubuntu intrepid main
Then
# aptitude update && aptitude upgrade && aptitude install
libflorist2008 libflorist-dev
Note : LP PPA are not certified.
[2] changelog
libflorist (2008-1ubuntu1) intrepid; urgency=low
  * debian/rules : disabled florist shared library production because
    of unreferenced symbols.
  * debian/florist.gpr :
    - add Externally_Built param to florist.gpr and set it to True.
    - Library_Kind set to static.

--
David

* Re: Problems with libflorist2008 in Ubuntu
@ 2009-01-07  8:10       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-01-07  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Sauvage wrote:
> i created on my launchpad PPA [1] a modified version [2] of
> libflorist2008 called libflorist2008-1ubuntu1 that ship florist in
> static library mode.

Per Debian policy, the static library should already be included in
package libflorist-dev and libflorist2008 may not contain a static
library, only a shared one.

So your package is probably unnecessary and furthermore it violates
Debian policy. But thanks for trying to help Ubuntu users anyway.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Problems with libflorist2008 in Ubuntu
@ 2009-01-07 19:53         ` David Sauvage
From: David Sauvage @ 2009-01-07 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 jan, 09:10, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> David Sauvage wrote:
> > libflorist2008 called libflorist2008-1ubuntu1 that ship florist in
>
> Per Debian policy, the static library should already be included in
> package libflorist-dev and libflorist2008 may not contain a static
> library, only a shared one.
>

> So your package is probably unnecessary and furthermore it violates
> Debian policy.

Hi Ludovic,

Well, i was talking about the source package that provide the
libflorist2008, libflorist-dev and libflorist-dbg built packages.

/usr/lib/libflorist.a is still provided by libflorist-dev.
The only thing i did is to not provide libflorist.so* on the
libflorist2008, as libflorist-dev depend on it.

> But thanks for trying to help Ubuntu users anyway.

Well my which was to resolve the unreferenced symbols on the shared
library, but it's not done yet ...

By the way i added the line
for Externally_Built use "true";
in /usr/share/ada/adainclude/florist.gpr

may be it could be added on the upstream Debian package if it's not
present ...

--
David

* Re: Problems with libflorist2008 in Ubuntu
@ 2009-01-07 23:06           ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-01-07 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Sauvage wrote:
> By the way i added the line
> for Externally_Built use "true";
> in /usr/share/ada/adainclude/florist.gpr
>
> may be it could be added on the upstream Debian package if it's not
> present ...

Thanks for the suggestion; I have added this attribute. It will be in
the next upload. However, since Debian 5.0 "Lenny" is in freeze, I
don't anticipate any new upload until the formal release.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Problems with libflorist2008 in Ubuntu
@ 2009-01-13  0:26           ` David Sauvage
From: David Sauvage @ 2009-01-13  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> David Sauvage wrote:
> Well my which was to resolve the unreferenced symbols on the shared
> library, but it's not done yet ...

i build a new libflorist 2008-1ubuntu2  on my Launchpad PPA that does
not get those problems [1] anymore.

Ludovic, upstream libflorist 2008 debian source package is also
affected ...

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/316595

--
David