From: "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: Clear screen command?
Date: 1998/03/06
Date: 1998-03-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Markus Kuhn wrote in message <34FE8F35.1DD7ECFD@cl.cam.ac.uk>...
[...]
|procedure Goto_XY(Row, Column: Natural) is
|begin
|  put(ESC & "[");
|  put(Row);
|  put(';');
|  put(Column);
|  put('H');
|end;

[...]

Spot the deliferate mistale! I suspect that

   procedure Goto_XY (Column, Row: in Natural)

would probably be a tad less confusing, although, frankly, I would prefer

   procedure Move_Cursor (Row, Column: in Positive)

even if it is a little less Pascalian (but I DO NOT want to start another
endless thread on naming conventions :-)

You also need

   with Ada.Text_IO, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;
   use Ada.Text_IO, Ada.Integer_Text_IO;

up front.

I seem to recall some terminals having a code to disable automatic scrolling
(making the cursor simply 'wrap-around' to the top of the screen), but I'm
not sure if this is standard. If you're interested: this facility was to
solve the problem that (in scrolling mode) it is impossible to display a
character in the extreme bottom right-hand corner. It probably seemed
important then. It's funny, in these days of near-ubiquitous WIMPiness, such
problems seem very old now.

** Nick Roberts, Croydon, UK
** Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com
** Voicemail & Fax +44 181-405 1124
** Proprietor, ThoughtWing Software
** Independent Software Development Consultant