* Ada and Windows COM
@ 2009-04-15  9:50 Tim Rowe
From: Tim Rowe @ 2009-04-15  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any (free!) way of using MS Windows COM from Ada? I've looked
at GNATCOM, but that won't build with the current version of gnat. The
community says that they're working on it, but there's no news on when
it will be fixed so I could do with an alternative.

TIA,

Tim Rowe

* Re: Ada and Windows COM
@ 2009-04-15 21:15 ` pa3fan
From: pa3fan @ 2009-04-15 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 15, 11:50 am, Tim Rowe <spamt...@tgrowe.plus.net> wrote:
> Is there any (free!) way of using MS Windows COM from Ada? I've looked
> at GNATCOM, but that won't build with the current version of gnat. The
> community says that they're working on it, but there's no news on when
> it will be fixed so I could do with an alternative.
>
> TIA,
>
> Tim Rowe

In the meantime you can try my version of GNATCOM which I adapted for
Ada2005 a while ago.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~veenker/gnatcom.zip

Hope this helps
Regards,
Rob Veenker

* Re: Ada and Windows COM
@ 2009-04-16 11:24 ` Ivan Levashew
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2009-04-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Rowe wrote:

> Is there any (free!) way of using MS Windows COM from Ada? I've looked
> at GNATCOM, but that won't build with the current version of gnat. The
> community says that they're working on it, but there's no news on when
> it will be fixed so I could do with an alternative.
>
> TIA,
>
> Tim Rowe

There should be done two fixes: first, remove "-gnatg" from Makefiles.
Second, search and replace "GNATCOM.Interface" to "GNATCOM.COM_Interface"

IIRC it was enough.

There is one problem, however: Win32API is indeniably harded to use in
Ada compared to using WinAPI in Delphi, the same goes to GNATCOM. I have
impression that the one who designed these binding generator have
primarily used C++ (not counting Ada) and didn't have experience working
with Delphi. As a consequence, GNATCOM is as hard to use as it is to use
COM in C++.

At least, GNATCOM exists.

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom

* Re: Ada and Windows COM
@ 2009-04-21 21:43   ` hesobreira
From: hesobreira @ 2009-04-21 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 16, 1:24 pm, Ivan Levashew <octag...@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> There should be done two fixes: first, remove "-gnatg" from Makefiles.
> Second, search and replace "GNATCOM.Interface" to "GNATCOM.COM_Interface"

Indeed, I have used GNATCOM 3 years ago with these fixes with the
latest version of GNAT by that time and it worked fine.
Hugo