From: "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: Ada not wanted
Date: 1998/03/01
Date: 1998-03-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On more than one occasion I have mentioned the 'Ada' programming language
over the phone (to a dealer, a recruitment office, etc.), and had a
(confused) written reply which mentions the 'Aider' programming language!

This is a much debated topic on this newsgroup. It is clear that Ada is, in
the commercial arena at least, a rarely used language, compared to C++, and
others (Visual Basic, Delphi, Powerbuilder, even xBase). Thus, it is hardly
surprising that a lot of programmers feel their bread is buttered on the C++
side.

However, in the commercial arena, I know well that a frequent (almost
persistent) comment from those who have made the move from C++ to Delphi is
how much easier they find it to program in the latter. They invariably
mention the improved readability, facilities such as range-checking, and the
greater number of bugs caught quickly by the compiler (as well as the rich
environment, the great debugger, and many other things).

And, of course, Ada is a much better language (in the same terms) than
Delphi.

Someone suggested on this newsgroup recently that an Ada compiler with the
same rich, slick environment that Delphi comes with would be a 'killer
application'. The response was muted, but it surely would. When people
started using the language, and finding its ease-of-use, they would rejoice.

But, no such thing exists.

It makes me chuckle: I am convinced Borland would again have a product to
make them No.1* programming language vendor in the world (as they used to be
for a short period), if they were to do exactly as the above poster
suggested (Delphi based on Ada). But they won't, because they don't have
anyone there who knows enough about Ada.

Of course, a popular Ada product would spawn a banquet of Ada programmers
(thus, a few competent ones among them ;-).

Finally, ever hopeful, I once again cast forth one of my little pearls:
there's no such thing as a good** Ada programmer; only a good programmer
(who maybe knows a little Ada :-).

-----
*all right then, maybe No. 2
**substitute experienced, competent, senior, most winning, or other
superlative of your choice

------------ Nick Roberts
---------- Croydon, UK
-------- Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com
------ Voicemail & Fax +44 181-405 1124
---- Proprietor, ThoughtWing Software
-- Independent Software Development Consultant