From: "Yannick Duchêne Hibou57" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: wxAda : is it vanished ?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 03:03:10 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-08-13T03:03:10-07:00	[thread overview]

On 12 août, 15:01, Lucretia9 <Lucretia9...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> While I mention that it is dead on the tigris page, I have recently
> started looking at it again from a slightly different angle. But
> currently, there is no usable version.
>
> Luke (wxAda author).

Hi Luke (alias Lucretia), nice to meet you :)

What is the new way to bind to wxWidgets you are thinking about ?

I guess its big work, as wxWidgets (previously wxWindows) is all in C+
+, and interfacing C++ with Ada, tipically requires an intermediate
binding in C... a tedious task.

If I can talk about my specific concerns : if I cannot use wxAda, I
will simply do as for the Windows API, creating a binding step by by
step, as comes the needs (the standard Ada Windows API binding is not
like what I was looking for).

As I said, I was interested in wxWidget rather than others, beceaue of
its license termes and beceause it is an interface to the underlying
OS, not an emulation which creates all its own widgets (I've seen
screen shots of GTK on Mac, it look like Gnome on Linux, and Qt does
an emulation too, althought it lies better).

To go further, Mac OS seems to like wxWidget, as it seems there are
wxWidgets headers in the standard Mac OS developpement environnement
(not GTK nor Qt) beside of the system and system framework headers. So
wxWidgets seems a good choice.

Back to the C++ implementation of wxWidgets : the most recommanded API
for Mac OS is Cocoa, which is Objective-C, which can be interfaced as
simply as C (if I believe the literature about it).

So one moment, I thought about simply writing an Ada bindind to Cocoa,
but as I do not own a Mac, I could not run any test at all (this will
be frightening).

If there was a Cocoa for Windows, this would be all fine, I could run
tests on Windows.. but there is no.