* Ada v3.10 / adagide.exe oddities
@ 1998-02-20  0:00 Michael Appleby
From: Michael Appleby @ 1998-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently, I've been working with both version 3.09 and 3.10 of the Gnat
compiler.  I've installed and removed both versions several times.

v3.10 appears to be incompatible with my source files and generates the
following error:

   319.             exit when ((Send_Message.Status =
NO_MESSAGES_AVAILABLE) AND (i < Tiles_In_Update));

        >>> ambiguous expression (cannot resolve ""<"")
        >>> possible interpretation at common_integer_types_ops.ads:81
        >>> possible interpretation in package Standard

As can be surmized from the printout, package common_integer_types_ops
overloads the standard numeric operators (this is required by the target
machine).  The package 'common_integer_types_ops' is 'with'ed' at the
start of the file and 'used' inside the procedure body.  Similar errors
are generated for each use of the overloaded operators in the source
file.  (and in a good many other packages as well).  I've not
investigated this any further.

To get on with my work, I've removed v3.10 and installed v3.09 and
attempted to work normally as follows:

To open my source files for editing, I open the Windows Explorer and
double click on the desired file.  On my work computer (Win'95) I've
associated '.ADA', '.ADB', and '.ADS' with the WordPad editor.  On my
home machine (also Win'95) where I'm currently working, the following
happens.

Attempts to open files with extensions '.ads' result in the following:
'Windows cannot find adagide.exe
This program is needed for opening files of type 'ADS File' '
prompt box requests location of adagide.exe which is not on the system.

Then under "View-Options-File Types (Tab)
File Type 'ADS' is not initially listed.
'New type ..' option is taken
'Description of Type' := Ada Package Spec
'Associated extension: ' := '.ads'
'Action:'  <no response>
'New:' Generates error
   "This extension .ads is already in use by file type ads_auto_file.
Choose another extension."

So here is the crux of the problem:

Gnat v3.10 seems to have forced the association of file types 'ADS' with
'adagide.exe' even though file type 'ADS' is not listed in the
'View-Options-File Types' window and attempts to add it generates the ..
   "This extension .ads is already in use by file type ads_auto_file.
Choose another extension." error.

Does anybody know:

1)  Why the overloading of the basic math operators doesn't work ?  (the
files are proprietary and I can't ship an entire listing)
2)  Why file-type ADS is not showing up under View-Options-File Types?
3)  How to remove associations to adagide.exe from files having the
extension '.ADS'?

* Re: Ada v3.10 / adagide.exe oddities
@ 1998-02-20  0:00 ` Michael Appleby
From: Michael Appleby @ 1998-02-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Appleby wrote:

> Recently, I've been working with both version 3.09 and 3.10 of the Gnat
> compiler.  I've installed and removed both versions several times.
>
> v3.10 appears to be incompatible with my source files and generates the
> following error:
>
>    319.             exit when ((Send_Message.Status =
> NO_MESSAGES_AVAILABLE) AND (i < Tiles_In_Update));
>         >>> ambiguous expression (cannot resolve ""<"")
>         >>> possible interpretation at common_integer_types_ops.ads:81
>         >>> possible interpretation in package Standard
>
> As can be surmized from the printout, package common_integer_types_ops
> overloads the standard numeric operators (this is required by the target
> machine).  The package 'common_integer_types_ops' is 'with'ed' at the
> start of the file and 'used' inside the procedure body.  Similar errors
> are generated for each use of the overloaded operators in the source
> file.  (and in a good many other packages as well).  I've not
> investigated this any further.
>
> To get on with my work, I've removed v3.10 and installed v3.09 and
> attempted to work normally as follows:
>
> To open my source files for editing, I open the Windows Explorer and
> double click on the desired file.  On my work computer (Win'95) I've
> associated '.ADA', '.ADB', and '.ADS' with the WordPad editor.  On my
> home machine (also Win'95) where I'm currently working, the following
> happens.
>
> Attempts to open files with extensions '.ads' result in the following:
> 'Windows cannot find adagide.exe
> This program is needed for opening files of type 'ADS File' '
> prompt box requests location of adagide.exe which is not on the system.
>
> Then under "View-Options-File Types (Tab)
> File Type 'ADS' is not initially listed.
> 'New type ..' option is taken
> 'Description of Type' := Ada Package Spec
> 'Associated extension: ' := '.ads'
> 'Action:'  <no response>
> 'New:' Generates error
>    "This extension .ads is already in use by file type ads_auto_file.
> Choose another extension."
>
> So here is the crux of the problem:
>
> Gnat v3.10 seems to have forced the association of file types 'ADS' with
> 'adagide.exe' even though file type 'ADS' is not listed in the
> 'View-Options-File Types' window and attempts to add it generates the ..
>    "This extension .ads is already in use by file type ads_auto_file.
> Choose another extension." error.
>
> Does anybody know:
>
> 1)  Why the overloading of the basic math operators doesn't work ?  (the
> files are proprietary and I can't ship an entire listing)
> 2)  Why file-type ADS is not showing up under View-Options-File Types?
> 3)  How to remove associations to adagide.exe from files having the
> extension '.ADS'?

Let me post a follow up to my own message:

The problem with the ADS extension was resolved using the regedit
program  (thanx to my son the video-game programmer).  Immediately
thereafter I murdered Windows which I've spent the balance of the day
putting back together.

Thanx to all

Michael Appleby

* Re: Ada v3.10 / adagide.exe oddities
@ 1998-02-22  0:00   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1998-02-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The association of adagide with the Ada source file extensions was done by
adagide when you installed gnat 3.10,  If you look in the Control Panel
Add/Remove programs, you will probably find adagide.  You can remove
adaGide, and that will probably remove the file association.

As far as the ambiguous < operator is concerned, it is impossible to answer
without more information.  E.g., what are the types of i and
Tiles_In_Update?  It's not that the overloading doesn't work, it's that
given the operands, the compiler can't tell whether to use your new
overloaded operator, or the standard.integer operator.

David C. Hoos, Sr.