* Ada to Buhr
@ 1998-01-27  0:00 Martin M Dowie
From: Martin M Dowie @ 1998-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of a reverse engineering tool to convert existing Ada
(83) code into a Buhr notation diagram (approx 300 packages). we've
tried the 'a_reveng' tool that comes with TeamWork (v7) but the result
are not exactly readable...
--
Martin M Dowie

* Re: Ada to Buhr
@ 1998-01-28  0:00   ` Martin M Dowie
From: Martin M Dowie @ 1998-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Why would you want to convert 300 packages of old Adainto 300 diagrams
>(generally) of an old notation?  If you simply want to see
>dependencies, there's a LOT of simple tools out there that will
>provide you that info.

that's the wonder's of company procedures and customer requirements!...

but if you know of a tool that would show dependancies i could give it a
try and see if i can raise a change note to the procedures.
--
Martin M Dowie

* Re: Ada to Buhr
@ 1998-01-28  0:00 ` David  Weller
From: David  Weller @ 1998-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <JDEHHGAvDkz0EwRy@dowie-cs.demon.co.uk>,
Martin M Dowie  <martin@dowie-cs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a reverse engineering tool to convert existing Ada
>(83) code into a Buhr notation diagram (approx 300 packages). we've
>tried the 'a_reveng' tool that comes with TeamWork (v7) but the result
>are not exactly readable...
>--

Hmm, some of us would claim that even IF a tool reverse-engineered
those 300 packages, the resulting Buhr notation would still be
unreadable :-)

Why would you want to convert 300 packages of old Adainto 300 diagrams
(generally) of an old notation?  If you simply want to see
dependencies, there's a LOT of simple tools out there that will
provide you that info.

--
   ******   NEW!!  DoD Ada Hotline Number:  1-800-PARIAH    ******
Tired of "junk" e-mail?  Write to your congressman and tell them you support

* Re: Ada to Buhr
@ 1998-01-28  0:00 ` Samuel T. Harris
From: Samuel T. Harris @ 1998-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin M Dowie wrote:

> Does anyone know of a reverse engineering tool to convert existing Ada
> (83) code into a Buhr notation diagram (approx 300 packages). we've
> tried the 'a_reveng' tool that comes with TeamWork (v7) but the result
> are not exactly readable...
> --
> Martin M Dowie

Look to the old Adagen tool from Mark V Systems.
Adagen is now an optional component of their ObjectMaker product,
but it is a lot to pay just for Buhr diagrams.

If you are look to provide some facility to assist new
developers' understanding of your code, perhaps you should
also investigate the myriad of IDEs now available. Emacs
with Ada extensions is freely available. We use Apex in house
which comes complete with an integrated syntax/semantic
smart code editor (but again, that's alot to pay just
for hyper links in the code editor). There is also a tool
to convert Ada to html available at www.adahome.com.
Given one of these alternatives, reviewers can quickly
"navigate" around the code. See variable, goto declaration;
see type in declaration, goto that declaration; see with
clause, goto package. Having the hyperlinks provided
with any of the above facilities greatly enhances the
productivity of anyone reviewing code.

--
Samuel T. Harris, Principle Engineer
Raytheon Systems Company

* Re: Ada to Buhr
@ 1998-02-18  0:00 ` Ed Colbert
From: Ed Colbert @ 1998-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin M Dowie wrote in message ...
>Does anyone know of a reverse engineering tool to convert existing Ada
>(83) code into a Buhr notation diagram (approx 300 packages). we've
>tried the 'a_reveng' tool that comes with TeamWork (v7) but the result
>are not exactly readable...
>--
>Martin M Dowie

ObjectMaker from Mark V Systems has an Ada-Reverse tool that produces Buhr
diagrams.  They're website is www.markv.com.

Take Care,
Ed Colbert