From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: Thoughts and Opinions or something like that
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:30:56 +0100
Date: 2001-04-25T15:30:56+01:00	[thread overview]

"Andrew Cooke" <andrew@andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3AE6DAB3.899FF645@andrewcooke.free-online.co.uk...

> Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:
> > Sorry, but I am violently against this approach, if you want to do
> > something interesting, to learn new paradigms, to have some fun. Using
> > existing VPlatforms (BTW, C-- is not one) is good for the portability
> > and for the possibility of "selling" it to a wider community, but it
> > is a little boring, and you feel like putting yourself voluntarily
> > into a somebody else's straitjacket.
>
> That seems a little strong.  It was only a suggestion, as he's already
> working on other "new" stuff - a whole language.  I agree, to learn you
> need to play, but the playing has to be fun.

Agreed.

> Making a sandcastle is
> fun, sweeping the Sahara clean is hard work.  Using some kind of
> existing low-level support for your langauge might be a good way of
> keeping things light enough to be interesting.

In an ideal world yes.

> Also, I know C-- isn't a virtual machine, but it is a possible way of
> providing low-level support for a language, which is relevant here.  In
> fact, it seems to have been designed particularly for that.  If looks
> like a duck and quacks like a duck then only an anally retentive
> c.l.functional poster (who dropped the very group I emailed from -
> c.l.misc) would waste words making a distinction.

The reason i turned away from C-- is that it seemed only to work with linux.
I'm windows based so it didn't seem practicle at the time -- i'd installed linux
on my machine before as part of a dual boot thing, did everything it said, and
bang it only boots linux, not windows, so i'm not doing that again).  It might
work on Windows though!

Chris

p.s. i thought people generally ignored cross posting and let it stand as it is
but obviously not.  i don't know why folks drop them.  is it because they think
that messages posted from other groups won't be shown on their group?  That's
bolloks!  That's the whole point of cross posting the message.