From: darkestkhan <darkestkhan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Information Request.
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:34:27 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2013-09-27T13:34:27-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, September 27, 2013 8:08:02 PM UTC, Austin Obyrne wrote:
> On Friday, September 27, 2013 7:33:14 PM UTC+1, Shark8 wrote:
>
> > > My question is how is the interface with CJK provided – there must be somebody some where who converts the CJK into Unicode hexadecimal code points for understanding by the keyboard person other wise she cannot handle it. Usually via an IME (Input Method Editor [IIRC]), or a keyboard for the language [or setting your keyboard to that language, Windows allows that (though the labeling on the board won't match)] -- If you're using Windows 7, there should be a "Regions and Languages" item in the Control Panel: open it - then go to the "Keyboards and Languages" tab, - click the "Change Keyboard" button, another box titled "Text services and Input Languages" [containing three tabs] should appear: - Click on the "General" tab, if not already there, - Click on Add to add an new keyboard (or language) And that's that. (Unless I misunderstand your question altogether.)
>

> Lets say her name is Alice - the keyboard operator.
>

> Alice now has  a CJK keyboard on screen (I think) that she uses to mouse-click in message characters in CJK (I don't envy her task).
>

> I can see this working now but it seems a pretty inefficient way of doing it - it must be very, very slow.
>

> In my crypto scheme I'm planning on every message being prepared as a sring of hex.  I'm arguing that this is now a string of plaintext that can be encrypted by any ASCII based encryption program (albeit hexadecimal digits I plan to treat them as alphanumeric characters in ASCII)- it will decrypyt exactly right I can assure everybody.
>

> Alternatively I might read in the hexadecimal integer (180B say), convert it decimal and use that as the operand in the computaton of my vector ciphertext. The benefit of doing this is that the ciphertext expansion is kept to a minimum.
>

> Both of these methods require the natural language plaintext to be submitted as a string of hex. That of course requires an interpreter on site.
>

> This is what has been bothering me - what does happen in practice??
>

> It doesn't sound to me as if Unicode is getting much use after all that up front in recent years.

Unicode is used very commonly all around the world - main reason is that it is interoperable between all (spoken) languages and systems (as long as they support Unicode)

You know what...  świat jest większy niż CJK i angielski (world is bigger than CJK and english, written in Polish) - many European languages are using additional letters, add to this cyrylic and some other alphabets and then you will see how nice Unicode is. Just for your information - before unicode we had several encoding methods for each language, making things very complex. Now it is very simple - just handling Unicode (not trivial but at least we can assume something about input). As for inputting CJK - my best advise would be to try inputting some Japanese/Chinese. You will see how it works (hint: romanization). There is no "big keyboard on the screen".