From: dweller@universe.digex.net (David  Weller)
Subject: Re: Standadised OO Language
Date: 1998/02/12
Date: 1998-02-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6bur94$k8n$1@news3.alpha.net>,
Kenneth W. Sodemann <stufflehead@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Matthew Daniel wrote in message <34E2D3D9.B2F1F398@adelaide.on.net>...
>>After Having a "discussion" with one of the engineers at work,  he is an
>>Ada "hater" and I am the Ada "lover", about standadised OO languages, I
>>said Ada95 was the only one, well at least 6 months ago, he said C++ has
>>an ANSI standard and has for a couple of years.
>>
>You are wrong, and so is your friend.  C++ does have an ANSI standard,
>however it was only ratified within the last couple of months (the first
>announcement I saw of it was in last months "C/C++ Users Journal").
>
>I would also be surprised if some other OO language (like Smalltalk) were
>not standardized, but I cannot speak to that, as the two main languages I
>work with are Ada and C++.

Get ready to be surprised.  :-)

The first problem is, whose standard?  ANSI standards are
(comparatively) easier to get than an ISO standard.  Ada95 is an ISO
standard and has been for the last three years.  Smalltalk is in the
process of ANSI standardization, but it's a LONG way from approval.
C++ is now in the final stages of getting ISO standardization, but it
will most likely be December before it becomes published, maybe 1999.
I remember laughing when C++ people were saying it'd be standardized
by 1994.  :-)

Anyway, at this exact moment, the number of ISO standardized OO
languages is one: Ada95.  That will change, perhaps by this year.

ANSI standardization, it should be noted, has little meaning outside
the United States (and usually has little meaning within the US also
:-)
--
   ******   NEW!!  DoD Ada Hotline Number:  1-800-PARIAH    ******
Tired of "junk" e-mail?  Write to your congressman and tell them you support