From: alexander@xn--junivrs-e1a.com
Subject: Licensing Paranoia and Manual Compilation Issues
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 03:46:02 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2018-12-11T03:46:02-08:00	[thread overview]

I've read some threads on here regarding the licensing situation of AdaCore's Libre compiler. For my upcoming project, I'm going to need (= very strong desire) to use Ada and I'm also going to need to be able to license the executable produced thereof in any way I desire.

In regards to the aforementioned, I have two questions. I realize I come forth as somewhat paranoid in the upcoming paragraphs (which undoubtedly I am). The licensing situation worries me a great deal.

1. ```As for the compiler build provided by (the GetAdaNow Mac OS X section's link to Sourceforge)[1]; which parts of that GCC build for compiling Ada can you safely use and still be covered by the "GCC Runtime Library Exception"? I can see it states you can use `GNATCOLL` and `XMLAda`. I'm assuming the standard library is included as well. Can you on the other hand use all console commands? `gnat <command>`? `gprbuild`? Or would these inject "non-runtime library exception'd" GPL code into the executable?```

2. ```I've been attempting to compile and link some code through the use of the `gcc` command solely, but haven't been successful in doing so. I have, on the other hand, been able to successfully generate an executable by utilizing the `gnatbind` and `gnatlink` commands consecutively after compiling with `gcc -c <file>`. Is it possible to use only the `gcc` command for the matter, or do you need to also throw in a few calls to the `gnat` commands?

When executing the following commands...
$ gcc -c src/main.adb -o obj/main.o
$ gcc -o main obj/main.o

I wind up with the following error (on the second command, which should be a GCC link):
  "_main", referenced from:
     implicit entry/start for main executable
     (maybe you meant: __ada_main)

A similar error occurs when I attempt to create `.so` libraries manually using the `-shared` compiler switch. With all that being said, is it simply not possible to do these things through solely `gcc`, or am I missing something?```

It may be worth noticing that I've fallen in love with Ada to the utmost degree over the past year. As such, I'm planning on, at the very least, stalking "comp.lang.ada" like some creepy figure. You'll probably see more from me beyond these first two questions, is what I'm saying.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GCC%20Mac%20OS%20X/8.1.0/native-2017/