From: adambeneschan@gmail.com
Subject: Re: confusing string error
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 08:58:41 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2014-02-15T08:58:41-08:00	[thread overview]

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:53:42 AM UTC-8, ag...@drrob1.com wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 09:33:25 +0000, Simon Wright wrote:

> I guess this is a case of the error code does not match the error.  I
> kept getting an error message about the character appending line.
>
> I tried GDB and stepped through, and seemed to get the same error.

Sometimes the Put_Line debugger does a better job than other debuggers.

> I still don't understand why stepping line by line did not show me the
> correct failure point.

I don't have a way to tell.  (I found out what line it was because I tried it using Irvine Compiler's debugger, which did tell me what the correct line was.)  There are some possible reasons that I can think of why incorrect lines might show up (based on my general experience, not on any particular knowledge of GNAT/GDB).  The source files could just be out of sync; e.g. you edited a file to add some comments but didn't recompile it, or you linked using an object file from the wrong place.  If your source was in one large file, and GNATCHOP was called on to split it up, the line may refer to the larger file rather than the split-up one or vice versa.  Finally, optimization can cause problems when the compiler rearranges code; it can be very difficult to get it to display correct line numbers.  Plus we can't rule out a compiler bug.

                              -- Adam