* Need ADA Compiler.
@ 1987-11-03  3:53 Robert C. White Jr.
From: Robert C. White Jr. @ 1987-11-03  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
	I need to aquire an Ada compiler for an 3b2/600 [or any other
3B something]  AT&T says they don't have one, but it would be a good
thing for us to have one for our students.
	This request is not just for PD, we are willing to pay...

Rob.

* need ADA compiler
@ 1998-01-24  0:00 traingroup
From: traingroup @ 1998-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: traingroup

We are looking for a low cost or public domain ADA compiler for training
purposes.  Does anyone know where one is available?
Thank you

* Re: need ADA compiler
@ 1998-01-24  0:00 ` wanker
From: wanker @ 1998-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <885654026.819462156@dejanews.com>,  <traingroup@bdol.com> wrote:
>We are looking for a low cost or public domain ADA compiler for training
>purposes.  Does anyone know where one is available?
>Thank you

GNAT is free, and available for a variety of platforms.  There are
some other ones out there, but I think GNAT is the best.

Also if you want additional tools, there's adagide which is an
integrated development environment, and works wonderfully with
gnat.  You can edit source code (with color highlighting), reformat
source code (even capitalizes according to good Ada style), build,
run, and debug all from within it.  It too is free (as far as I
know).  Of course it's just the environment that attatches to the
tools, so you'll need to download it, Gnat, and a debugger (ie:
it doesn't come with the tools).  I've found that everything
is set up properly (from within Win95), although I haven't
hooked in a debugger yet (still trying to find what a good
one would be).

Emacs has an Ada mode, and other features which make development
for Ada quite nice.  The last time I used the "compile" feature
(in Win95), it brought Emacs to its knees, but then that's me :).
It too is free.

As for a debugger, the last time I looked, gdb was the only game
in town, and wasn't very good (at times you had to debug in C++!).
This was a while ago so things may have changed.  It is of course
free.

I don't remember the URLs for all these, but a web search on
a decent engine like http://www.yahoo.com or http://www.lycos.com
should point you in the right direction.

>      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

* Re: need ADA compiler
@ 1998-01-24  0:00     ` Martin C. Carlisle
From: Martin C. Carlisle @ 1998-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <34CA5DB2.ECBAB518@mhv.net>,
Paul Van Bellinghen  <pvanbell@mhv.net> wrote:
>> Also if you want additional tools, there's adagide which is an
>> integrated development environment, and works wonderfully with
>> gnat.
>
>I beleive you mean "adaide" also, there's PcGrasp which is an excellent IDE for
>GNAT as well as GCC and JAVA. Here's the last update message I got from them:

As the author of AdaGIDE, I do sincerely hope "adaide" wasn't meant. :-)

As to URLs for all of the tools, you can get GNAT from :

ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/winnt/gnat-3.10p1-nt.exe

GDB from:

ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/winnt/gdb-3.10p-nt.exe

although GNAT 3.10p1 comes with AdaGIDE, I suggest updating to the latest
version.  For more info see:

http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

If you have trouble with any of the above, everything is mirrored into
the Public Ada Library (PAL):

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada

--Martin

--
Martin C. Carlisle, Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html

* Re: need ADA compiler
@ 1998-01-24  0:00   ` Paul Van Bellinghen
From: Paul Van Bellinghen @ 1998-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Also if you want additional tools, there's adagide which is an
> integrated development environment, and works wonderfully with
> gnat.

I beleive you mean "adaide" also, there's PcGrasp which is an excellent IDE for
GNAT as well as GCC and JAVA. Here's the last update message I got from them:

                         ***     NEW RELEASE     ***
                          ---------------------------
                             GRASP 6.2.3 for UNIX
                                     and
                          pcGRASP 6.2.3 for Win95/NT

                               are NOW AVAILABLE
                          ---------------------------

               GRASP is freely available via the World Web Web at
                        http://www.eng.auburn.edu/grasp

          The UNIX versions were released on the WWW on 15 December 1997.
          The Win 95/NT version was released on WWW on 16 December 1997.

                All users are encouraged to move to Version 6.2.3.

** Both versions of GRASP now support C++.

** Features added to GRASP for UNIX:
   -- Batch file operations : Printing and formatting multiple files from the
      command line is now supported.  That is, file printing/formatting with
      the CSD can now be accomplished without having to to invoke the editor.
   -- File Searching : An interface to grep that performs a case sensitive
      search or search for a regular expression in the file(s) selected by
      the user via a standard file selection dialog.
   -- Color Printing : GRASP now supports color PostScript output.
   -- In addition, several minor bugs have been fixed.

** Added Features and fixes for pcGRASP for Win 95/NT
   -- Preferences added to allow users to specify various environment variables
      associated with the GCC compiler
   -- Compile menu options added to allow the user to select the "parse
      mode" of the CSD generator (whether or not to parse include files).
   -- Editor supports autoindentation.
   -- Formerly, selecting more than 10 files to add to a project caused 0 files
      to be added.  This has been corrected.
   -- Formerly, starting pcGRASP from the explorer/file manager caused an
      error message relating to GRASP_HOME.  This has been corrected.
   -- Fixed the "fix" from 1.0 Beta 4.4 so the mouse does not begin immediately
      marking text when the left mouse button is pressed.
   -- Bug fix : Double clicking on the main program file in the main project
      window will now open the file correctly.

----- End Included Message -----

[-- Attachment #2: Card for Paul  Van Bellinghen --]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Paul  Van Bellinghen
n:              Van Bellinghen;Paul
org:            Lockheed Martin Fairchild
email;internet: pvanbell@mhv.net
title:          Staff Analyst
note:           WebPage: www.mhv.net/~pvanbell
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

* Re: need ADA compiler
@ 1998-01-25  0:00     ` Full Name
From: Full Name @ 1998-01-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:31:30 -0500, Paul Van Bellinghen
<pvanbell@mhv.net> wrote:

>> Also if you want additional tools, there's adagide which is an
>> integrated development environment, and works wonderfully with
>> gnat.
>
>I beleive you mean "adaide"

No, the original poster is correct.  It's called AdaGide. I use it
myself.