* gdb not working
@ 1998-01-24  0:00 x652
       [not found] ` <6af7pt$q0j$1@news.nyu.edu>
From: x652 @ 1998-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded GNAT 3.09 for Win95, and the only GDB I found was
3.10, so I downloaded that.  I ran the installation however
when I try to run GDB I get the following error:

Tcl_Init failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following
directories:
    c:/gnuwin32/b18/tcl/lib/tcl7.6 {} ./lib/tcl7.6 C:/tcl7.6/library
C:/USR/library
This means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

Since gdb was in an install wizard, shouldn't this have been
taken care of already?  How can I fix this?  Do I really need
to go out and get tcl (and what else would I need)?

Thanks.

BTW, my email address is altered, so please post answers here.

* Re: gdb not working
       [not found] ` <6af7pt$q0j$1@news.nyu.edu>
@ 1998-01-25  0:00   ` wanker
From: wanker @ 1998-01-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6af7pt$q0j$1@news.nyu.edu>,
Richard Kenner <kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>In article <6adgca$ogv$1@Masala.CC.UH.EDU> x652@ntl.net writes:
>>I downloaded GNAT 3.09 for Win95, and the only GDB I found was
>>3.10, so I downloaded that.
>
>If you try to mix versions like that, you will indeed get strange
>results sometimes.

No surprise there, but I couldn't find anything resembling a
debugger in the 3.09 distribution (I was told that one was
provided in there).  I could not find a 3.09 debugger so
naturally my only recourse was to leech the 3.10 and
try my luck.

* Re: gdb not working
@ 1998-01-25  0:00     ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1998-01-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6afue2$vhf$1@Masala.CC.UH.EDU> wanker@exploited.barmy.army writes:
>No surprise there, but I couldn't find anything resembling a
>debugger in the 3.09 distribution (I was told that one was
>provided in there).  I could not find a 3.09 debugger so
>naturally my only recourse was to leech the 3.10 and
>try my luck.

I'm fairly sure GDB was in 3.09.

* Re: gdb not working
       [not found] ` <6af7pt$q0j$1@news.nyu.edu>
@ 1998-01-25  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1998-01-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6adgca$ogv$1@Masala.CC.UH.EDU> x652@ntl.net writes:

>I downloaded GNAT 3.09 for Win95, and the only GDB I found was
>3.10, so I downloaded that.

GNAT 3.09 for Win95 installs a command-line debugger by default,
so there is no need to download the debugger for 3.10.

To use the 3.10 windows based debugger you will need to install
GNAT 3.10 first, which includes the tcl/tk parts that the
debugger needs.

--

-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

* Re: gdb not working
@ 1998-01-25  0:00   ` someone
From: someone @ 1998-01-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <885708348.15snx@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl>,
Jerry van Dijk <jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl> wrote:
>In article <6adgca$ogv$1@Masala.CC.UH.EDU> x652@ntl.net writes:
>
>>I downloaded GNAT 3.09 for Win95, and the only GDB I found was
>>3.10, so I downloaded that.
>
>GNAT 3.09 for Win95 installs a command-line debugger by default,
>so there is no need to download the debugger for 3.10.

Which debugger was this?  I didn't notice any debugger during
installation, and even browsing the directory I can see nothing
suggestive of a debugger.

>To use the 3.10 windows based debugger you will need to install
>GNAT 3.10 first, which includes the tcl/tk parts that the
>debugger needs.

Ahhhhh ok.  But since GNAT 3.10 is NT based (the docs said
3.09 was Win95), I take it I might as well delete the gdb.exe
that I have.

>--
>
>-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
>-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

Thanks!

* Re: gdb not working
@ 1998-01-26  0:00       ` wanker
From: wanker @ 1998-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6ag5u7$ta2$1@news.nyu.edu>,
Richard Kenner <kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>In article <6afue2$vhf$1@Masala.CC.UH.EDU> wanker@exploited.barmy.army writes:
>>No surprise there, but I couldn't find anything resembling a
>>debugger in the 3.09 distribution (I was told that one was
>>provided in there).  I could not find a 3.09 debugger so
>>naturally my only recourse was to leech the 3.10 and
>>try my luck.
>
>I'm fairly sure GDB was in 3.09.

Hmmmmm, was it called gdb or any variation on the name because
I could find NOTHING.  I suppose it's possible that my installation
somehow screwed up -- I picked "standard" installation from the
install wizard, maybe that had somethign to do with it.

*Shrug*

* Re: gdb not working
@ 1998-01-26  0:00     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1998-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

someone@some_where.on.the.net wrote:

> >To use the 3.10 windows based debugger you will need to install
> >GNAT 3.10 first, which includes the tcl/tk parts that the
> >debugger needs.
>
> Ahhhhh ok.  But since GNAT 3.10 is NT based (the docs said
> 3.09 was Win95), I take it I might as well delete the gdb.exe
> that I have.

GNAT 3.10 works on Win95; I'm using it. You can generally assume that NT
stuff will run on 95 - this is not always true, but it's always worth
trying.

One caveat; under Win95 gdb, you cannot restart a program. You have to
exit gdb first; otherwise you get a very hard crash.

--
- Stephe

* Re: gdb not working
@ 1998-01-27  0:00             ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1998-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ok, that would explain it.  I hope I didn't delete the setup
> program however, otherwise I'm in for another 9 meg download.

Get your M4 plumbed in mate ;-)

Nick Roberts
Croydon, UK

* Re: gdb not working
@ 1998-01-27  0:00         ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1998-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6ah606$3t5$1@Masala.CC.UH.EDU> wanker@exploited.barmy.army writes:
>Hmmmmm, was it called gdb or any variation on the name because
>I could find NOTHING.  I suppose it's possible that my installation
>somehow screwed up -- I picked "standard" installation from the
>install wizard, maybe that had somethign to do with it.

There was indeed one version of GNAT where the "typical" selection
erroneously didn't include GDB (you can get it via the "custom"
selection); it might well have been 3.09.

* Re: gdb not working
@ 1998-01-27  0:00           ` wanker
From: wanker @ 1998-01-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6ajeas$ef7$1@news.nyu.edu>,
Richard Kenner <kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>In article <6ah606$3t5$1@Masala.CC.UH.EDU> wanker@exploited.barmy.army writes:
>>Hmmmmm, was it called gdb or any variation on the name because
>>I could find NOTHING.  I suppose it's possible that my installation
>>somehow screwed up -- I picked "standard" installation from the
>>install wizard, maybe that had somethign to do with it.
>
>There was indeed one version of GNAT where the "typical" selection
>erroneously didn't include GDB (you can get it via the "custom"
>selection); it might well have been 3.09.

Ok, that would explain it.  I hope I didn't delete the setup
program however, otherwise I'm in for another 9 meg download.

Thanks for the information.

* Re: gdb not working
@ 1998-01-28  0:00               ` wanker
From: wanker @ 1998-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bd2b67$f788b780$79f482c1@xhv46.dial.pipex.com>,
Nick Roberts <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>> Ok, that would explain it.  I hope I didn't delete the setup
>> program however, otherwise I'm in for another 9 meg download.
>
>Get your M4 plumbed in mate ;-)

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean?