From: wanker@exploited.barmy.army
Subject: Re: need ADA compiler
Date: 1998/01/24
Date: 1998-01-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <885654026.819462156@dejanews.com>,  <traingroup@bdol.com> wrote:
>We are looking for a low cost or public domain ADA compiler for training
>purposes.  Does anyone know where one is available?
>Thank you

GNAT is free, and available for a variety of platforms.  There are
some other ones out there, but I think GNAT is the best.

Also if you want additional tools, there's adagide which is an
integrated development environment, and works wonderfully with
gnat.  You can edit source code (with color highlighting), reformat
source code (even capitalizes according to good Ada style), build,
run, and debug all from within it.  It too is free (as far as I
know).  Of course it's just the environment that attatches to the
tools, so you'll need to download it, Gnat, and a debugger (ie:
it doesn't come with the tools).  I've found that everything
is set up properly (from within Win95), although I haven't
hooked in a debugger yet (still trying to find what a good
one would be).

Emacs has an Ada mode, and other features which make development
for Ada quite nice.  The last time I used the "compile" feature
(in Win95), it brought Emacs to its knees, but then that's me :).
It too is free.

As for a debugger, the last time I looked, gdb was the only game
in town, and wasn't very good (at times you had to debug in C++!).
This was a while ago so things may have changed.  It is of course
free.

I don't remember the URLs for all these, but a web search on
a decent engine like http://www.yahoo.com or http://www.lycos.com
should point you in the right direction.