* win64ada or win_32_64_ada ?
@ 2018-05-21 19:30 gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2018-05-21 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Are there win64ada bindings around, or win_32_64_ada (they would adapt depending on the compilation target, like GNATCOM & GWindows do), or do the current win32ada just work with the 64 bit address types?
Just curious...
TIA

Gautier
A free online game in Ada: http://pasta.phyrama.com/game.html

* Re: win64ada or win_32_64_ada ?
@ 2018-05-22  8:13 ` Anatoly Chernyshev
From: Anatoly Chernyshev @ 2018-05-22  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here are the instructions on how to setup 64 bit Ada for Win:

https://www.ada-ru.org/start

They are in Russian, however G!Translate shall be enough to understand.

I can testify that it works (at least with GNAT 2106), since I need it for my projects.

Hope this helps.

@ 2018-05-22 16:03   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2018-05-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 09:13:51 UTC+1, Anatoly Chernyshev  wrote:
> Here are the instructions on how to setup 64 bit Ada for Win:
>
> https://www.ada-ru.org/start
>
> They are in Russian, however G!Translate shall be enough to understand.
>
> I can testify that it works (at least with GNAT 2106), since I need it for my projects.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 7:30:28 AM UTC+12, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Are there win64ada bindings around, or win_32_64_ada (they would adapt depending on the compilation target, like GNATCOM & GWindows do), or do the current win32ada just work with the 64 bit address types?
> > Just curious...

This isn't what he's asking, that link only shows how to build a compiler.

He's asking if there Ada language bindings to the Win64 API, which I don't think there are.

I haven't used Windows for dev for over 10 years so I don't know the current status, I know they have this XAML stuff, for which there is https://github.com/Alex-Gamper/Ada-WinRT

Luke.

* Re: win64ada or win_32_64_ada ?
@ 2018-05-22 16:33     ` Dan'l Miller
From: Dan'l Miller @ 2018-05-22 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 11:03:55 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> This isn't what he's asking, that link only shows how to build a compiler.
>
> He's asking if there Ada language bindings to the Win64 API, which I don't think there are.
>
> I haven't used Windows for dev for over 10 years so I don't know the current status, I know they have this
> XAML stuff, for which there is https://github.com/Alex-Gamper/Ada-WinRT

… I know they have this ••WinRT/UWP•• stuff, for which there is https://github.com/Alex-Gamper/Ada-WinRT

(There, fixed that for you.)

Ada-WinRT doesn't support XAML yet.

XAML is an optional add-on to WinRT/UWP, intended mainly for interfacing with nontechnical UI/UX designers who lay out the UI as mock-ups without code behind the XAML yet.  Then the UI's XAML is delivered to C# (or F# or C++/CX or VisualBasic) programmers to write code behind that declarative-XML mock-up.

WinRT/UWP is the COM- & ATL-based OO replacement for Win32.  Win32 & Win64 are deprecated, not able to access all the new feature-sets of the Windows operating systems since, say, Windows XP.  Win64 is Win32 verbatim with pointers and integers widened to 64-bit.

* Re: win64ada or win_32_64_ada ?
@ 2018-05-23  9:34       ` alby.gamper
From: alby.gamper @ 2018-05-23  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 2:33:58 AM UTC+10, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 11:03:55 AM UTC-5, Lucretia wrote:
> > This isn't what he's asking, that link only shows how to build a compiler.
> >
> > He's asking if there Ada language bindings to the Win64 API, which I don't think there are.
> >
> > I haven't used Windows for dev for over 10 years so I don't know the current status, I know they have this
> > XAML stuff, for which there is https://github.com/Alex-Gamper/Ada-WinRT
>
> … I know they have this ••WinRT/UWP•• stuff, for which there is https://github.com/Alex-Gamper/Ada-WinRT
>
> (There, fixed that for you.)
>
> Ada-WinRT doesn't support XAML yet.
>
> XAML is an optional add-on to WinRT/UWP, intended mainly for interfacing with nontechnical UI/UX designers who lay out the UI as mock-ups without code behind the XAML yet.  Then the UI's XAML is delivered to C# (or F# or C++/CX or VisualBasic) programmers to write code behind that declarative-XML mock-up.
>
> WinRT/UWP is the COM- & ATL-based OO replacement for Win32.  Win32 & Win64 are deprecated, not able to access all the new feature-sets of the Windows operating systems since, say, Windows XP.  Win64 is Win32 verbatim with pointers and integers widened to 64-bit.

Hi Dan'l

WinRT/UWP is not yet a replacement for Win32 (either 32 or 64bit based)
Although the marketing blurb would make one believe it is

Their are currently huge gaps in what is offered/proffered in the WinRT with
that offered in the Win32/64 API (samples being process creation and native
services etc..) , and this is mainly to do with sandboxing WinRT applications

The issue is also somewhat blurred wrt desktop vs Store applications and the
recently introduces WinRT/CPP bindings, since native CPP can always use the
existing win32 api (but not necessarily qualify as a Windows Store app)

But to answer the original question, the current Win32 Api bindings as part
of the AdaCore GPL edition WILL NOT work on Win64 in 100% of cases, I have
found a few errors in the Win32.Services package that need fixing

Alex

* Re: win64ada or win_32_64_ada ?
@ 2018-05-23 20:02         ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2018-05-23 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all for these constructive answers!
As anticipated, adapting Win32 is a rocky way; fortunately I found a replacement not depending on Win32 (or Win64 or whatever), but based on COM.
More specifically, it is GWindows.Databases ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnavi/ ).