From: "Jean-Pierre Rosen" <rosen.adalog@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Smart compilers?
Date: 1998/01/23
Date: 1998-01-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar a �crit dans le message ...
><<I thought that one reason for using specs and bodies was that when just
>a body changed and not the spec there was no need to recompile anything
>else than the body.
>This feature seems to be overlooked by the compiler manufacturers.
>At least with my compiler, verdix, and probably Rationals VADS as well,
>haven't had time to try it that much.
>Which ada compilers use this feature to reduce compile time?
>>>

>Absolutely ALL ada compilers take advantage of this. If you are having
>trouble it is because of some misunderstanding of how to use the
>compiler. FOr example, with most compilers it is necessarily to put
>the body and spec in different files to get this advantage.

There may be also another source of confusion; if you are using Grasp, it
seems that it saves all files from open windows before compiling, even those
that have not been changed. So if you have a window with the spec open, it
will change the time-stamp of the file, and you will recompile more than is
actually needed.