* KDE Anyone?
@ 2004-03-29 20:00 chris
From: chris @ 2004-03-29 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Anyone know of a KDE binding for Ada.  I looked on the net and found
someone had started one.  Where's it at?  Is it active?  The post talked
about having a fairly substantial binding to QT, but it was July 2003.
What's happened since then?

How hard is it to bind to C++?  I gather objects complicate things a
lot.  Would using a C++ based binding on Linux force me to move to
something like Gcc 3.xx based compilers.  This is not really a problem
(I like playing with experimental sw!), it's simply that AFAIK there's
no firm schedule on when the Ada compiler in Gcc 3.xx will be stable.
Like I say not a problem, just something I need to account for.

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. before anyone states the obvious... of course I know about GtkAda,
I'm evaluating other options.

* Re: KDE Anyone?
@ 2004-03-30 17:33 ` Jeff
From: Jeff @ 2004-03-30 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

chris <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<Bd%9c.17$24.2@newsfe3-win.server.ntli.net>...
> Hi,
>
> Anyone know of a KDE binding for Ada.  I looked on the net and found
> someone had started one.  Where's it at?  Is it active?  The post talked
> about having a fairly substantial binding to QT, but it was July 2003.
> What's happened since then?

One possibility may be to use A# with QT# and mono.  Info about A# is
located at http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html.
However, A# appears to target only Windows.  I have no idea how hard
it would be to port A# to *nix and mono.  But, it may be easier than
creating a new binding for QT.

* Re: KDE Anyone?
@ 2004-03-31 13:14 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-03-31 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone know of a KDE binding for Ada.  I looked on the net and found
> someone had started one.  Where's it at?  Is it active?  The post talked
> about having a fairly substantial binding to QT, but it was July 2003.
> What's happened since then?

Well there is  QtAda 95: http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtada

But the project seems dead.

> How hard is it to bind to C++?  I gather objects complicate things a
> lot.  Would using a C++ based binding on Linux force me to move to
> something like Gcc 3.xx based compilers.  This is not really a problem
> (I like playing with experimental sw!), it's simply that AFAIK there's
> no firm schedule on when the Ada compiler in Gcc 3.xx will be stable.
> Like I say not a problem, just something I need to account for.

I don't know.  There are quite a few pragmas for c++ support but I have not
found and docu or examples which clearly state how to use them. One could
try the make a binding to QString and see how it goes.

With Regards

Martin
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: KDE Anyone?
@ 2004-03-31 23:55   ` Jeff
From: Jeff @ 2004-03-31 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message news:<1502028.CaCl9gdWei@linux1.krischik.com>...
> > How hard is it to bind to C++?  I gather objects complicate things a
> > lot.

> I don't know.  There are quite a few pragmas for c++ support but I have not
> found and docu or examples which clearly state how to use them. One could
> try the make a binding to QString and see how it goes.

If you want to do a binding, then you may want to check out the C
binding at qtcsharp.sourceforge.net.  QT# is actually based upon a C
binding to QT.

-- Jeff

* Re: KDE Anyone?
@ 2004-04-12 19:52     ` Oliver Kellogg
From: Oliver Kellogg @ 2004-04-12 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

jeff.huter@bigfoot.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:<fe4bb2c2.0403311555.44c3b85b@posting.google.com>...
> Martin Krischik <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message news:<1502028.CaCl9gdWei@linux1.krischik.com>...
> > > How hard is it to bind to C++?  I gather objects complicate things a
> > > lot.
>
> > I don't know.  There are quite a few pragmas for c++ support but I have not
> > found and docu or examples which clearly state how to use them. One could
> > try the make a binding to QString and see how it goes.
>
> If you want to do a binding, then you may want to check out the C
> binding at qtcsharp.sourceforge.net.  QT# is actually based upon a C
> binding to QT.

BTW, it looks like kalyputs and smoke have superceded qtc, see

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebindings/kalyptus/
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebindings/smoke/

FWIW
-- Oliver