* GNU Emacs ada-mode: colors in X
@ 1998-01-19  0:00 johnjohn
From: johnjohn @ 1998-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been writing code for a brief time on two platforms:

Sparc 20 + Solaris 2.5.1 + GNAT
PC compatible + RedHat Linux 4.2 + GNAT

On the RedHat box, I noticed that the version of Emacs I'm using
(19.34 from the RedHat provided RPM), the ada-mode doesn't colorize
the source code.  On the Sparc, it did.

In case it matters, I looked up the lisp file, and here are the
headers:

;;; compiled by rms@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu on Thu Feb  1 23:45:08 1996
;;; from file /home/fsf/rms/e19/lisp/ada-mode.el
;;; emacs version 19.30.90.5.
;;; bytecomp version FSF 2.10
;;; optimization is on.
;;; this file uses opcodes which do not exist in Emacs 18.

Is there an update to this file that I should have?  Or is there
some kind of configuration that I've neglected to do?

Any help is appreciateed.  Thanks!

John

* Re: GNU Emacs ada-mode: colors in X
@ 1998-01-20  0:00 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

  John> On the RedHat box, I noticed that the version of Emacs I'm using
  John> (19.34 from the RedHat provided RPM), the ada-mode doesn't colorize
  John> the source code.  On the Sparc, it did.

With Emacs 19.34 (and higher) you can turn on font-lock for all modes
that support it with the following two lines in your .emacs file:

        (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
        (global-font-lock-mode 1 t)

The second line turns the fontification on, the first one makes it
more colorful.

kai
--
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/

* Re: GNU Emacs ada-mode: colors in X
@ 1998-01-20  0:00   ` Larry Elmore
From: Larry Elmore @ 1998-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote in message ...

>  John> On the RedHat box, I noticed that the version of Emacs I'm using
>  John> (19.34 from the RedHat provided RPM), the ada-mode doesn't colorize
>  John> the source code.  On the Sparc, it did.
>
>With Emacs 19.34 (and higher) you can turn on font-lock for all modes
>that support it with the following two lines in your .emacs file:
>
>        (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
>        (global-font-lock-mode 1 t)
>
>The second line turns the fontification on, the first one makes it
>more colorful.

Another possibility would be to upgrade to Emacs 20.2 (there's a RedHat RPM
available since that's what shipped with RH 5.0). It's got ada-mode support
built-in and is (in my opinion) worth the upgrade because almost all of the
customization options seem to be available through menus (i.e., you don't
have to edit any elisp files unless you really, really _want_ to).

Larry