From: Jim Rogers <jimmaureenrogers@att.net>
Subject: Re: Investigating Ada
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 04:38:26 GMT
Date: 2005-10-07T04:38:26+00:00	[thread overview]

"Phoebe" <no@nospam.net> wrote in news:4cE0f.1602$ir4.1138@edtnps90:

> I'm going to learn it anyway, but I'm just hoping that people could
> comment on its popularity, and also how it has kept up against the
> other languages which surely must have incorporated a lot of its
> advantages by now. Thanks

Interestingly, very few languages have incorporated a lot of Ada's
advantages by now.

I do not know of any language with as robust and powerful capabilities
in concurrency as Ada.

Very few languages allow you to define your own numeric types without
also requiring you to explicitly define all the operators for that
type.
Very few languages require complete coverage of all values in a
case statement.
Very few languages support run-time polymorphism without requiring
the use of pointers or references.

Generic programming is common in C++, but introduces a new syntax
to the language. Ada's generic capabilities are implemented using
standard Ada syntax.

Very few languages provide the automatically defined capabilities
of Ada attributes.

Very few languages provide the fine degree of control over data
representation provided by Ada.

Jim Rogers