* anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-09-29 21:00 mike_
From: mike_ @ 2001-09-29 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

this page no longer exist:

http://www.act-europe.fr/texts/news/product_updates/newfeatures_set.htm

was wondering if anyone knows of a different link, or have the list saved
to post it here. i wanted to find out an idea of new features in gnat 3.14p.

thanks,
/m

* Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-09-30  2:24 ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2001-09-30  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

It must have been temporarily gone, it's up now.

SteveD

@ 2001-09-30  5:21   ` mike
From: mike @ 2001-09-30  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6nvt7.55822$QK.36784758@news1.sttln1.wa.home.com>, "DuckE" says...

>It must have been temporarily gone, it's up now.
>
>SteveD
>
>"mike_@nospam" <mike__member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> this page no longer exist:
>>
>> http://www.act-europe.fr/texts/news/product_updates/newfeatures_set.htm

guess what, when you said the above, I went and checked and I get
a blank page. Then I suspected the browser, so I switched to IE, and
now the page shows up!

The first browser I treid is Netscape 6.1 on win 2k.

this is strange. may be there is something on that page that prevents
it being showsn on netscape 6.1 on windows.

but thanks again for checking. I can see it now on IE.

mike

* Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-09-30 13:15     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-09-30 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

mike@nospam <mike_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<9p6a5n02tgp@drn.newsguy.com>...
> The first browser I treid is Netscape 6.1 on win 2k.
>
> this is strange. may be there is something on that page that prevents
> it being showsn on netscape 6.1 on windows.
>
> but thanks again for checking. I can see it now on IE.
>
> mike

That's really horrible! I have notified our Web people
to check it out. As someone who always deletes IE from
any machine I get my hands on, and replaces it with
Netscape, that won't do! I can by the way see the page
just fine with my old V4 Netscape on OS/2.

Isn't the world of standardized browsing on the world
wide net nice? :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-09-30 14:17     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-09-30 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

mike@nospam <mike_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<9p6a5n02tgp@drn.newsguy.com>...
> The first browser I treid is Netscape 6.1 on win 2k.
>
> this is strange. may be there is something on that page that prevents
> it being showsn on netscape 6.1 on windows.
>
> but thanks again for checking. I can see it now on IE.
>
> mike

It turns out that *only* netscape 6 handles this page
properly. The HTML says white text on a white background
(yes, yes, that's not a very good choice :-) :-) and both
IE, and Netscape 4 fail to follow this direction. We will
fix it, thanks for pointing it out

Isn't the world of portable browsing wonderful :-)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-09-30 19:52       ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-09-30 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

The page gives a couple of syntax errors when viewed with Amaya.
Netscape may be better than IE in various regards, but it is fussier,
and it will often show nothing if a page has syntax errors.  The
page in question, however, does show up ok under Netscape 4.77.

Al

@ 2001-10-01 13:56     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-10-01 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9p6a5n02tgp@drn.newsguy.com>, mike@nospam says...

>>> http://www.act-europe.fr/texts/news/product_updates/newfeatures_set.htm
>
>guess what, when you said the above, I went and checked and I get
>a blank page. Then I suspected the browser, so I switched to IE, and
>now the page shows up!
>
>The first browser I treid is Netscape 6.1 on win 2k.

Using Mozilla 0.9.4 on Win2k it shows up just fine.

---
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-10-01 14:16       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-10-01 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote in message news:<5ee5b646.0109300617.61bf58e0@posting.google.com>...

> It turns out that *only* netscape 6 handles this page
> properly. The HTML says white text on a white background
> (yes, yes, that's not a very good choice :-) :-) and both
> IE, and Netscape 4 fail to follow this direction. We will
> fix it, thanks for pointing it out

This is now fixed, and the text is black on white, and
fussy netscape 6 can now read it :-)

In future, it is a good idea to send a note of a problem
with our web site to report@gnat.com. I only occasionally
read CLA, and skip most threads, so if the only notification of such a
problem is in CLA, it is likely
to be missed.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-10-01 15:25       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-10-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5ee5b646.0109300515.760595cc@posting.google.com>, Robert Dewar
says...

>That's really horrible! I have notified our Web people
>to check it out. As someone who always deletes IE from
>any machine I get my hands on, and replaces it with
>Netscape, that won't do! I can by the way see the page
>just fine with my old V4 Netscape on OS/2.

(My first reply got lost in the ether. My apologies if both show up.)

I'm in pretty much the same boat, except that I keep InternetExploder around as
an emergency backup. If this is an issue that you care deeply about, I highly
suggest you mandate use of the HTML validator at http://validator.w3.org/ , and
require that no pages get posted unless all errors and warnings are fixed. I
have come to consider that page my HTML "compiler".

---

@ 2001-10-01 15:30         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-10-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5ee5b646.0110010616.5b332f1a@posting.google.com>, Robert Dewar
says...

>dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote in message news:<5ee5b646.0109300617.61bf58e0@posting.google.com>...
>
>> It turns out that *only* netscape 6 handles this page
>> properly. The HTML says white text on a white background
>> (yes, yes, that's not a very good choice :-) :-) and both
>> IE, and Netscape 4 fail to follow this direction. We will
>> fix it, thanks for pointing it out
>
>This is now fixed, and the text is black on white, and
>fussy netscape 6 can now read it :-)

Its still invalid HTML, according to the validator at w3.org . Its missing a
"<!DOCTYPE>" tag.

In the interest of fairness, I should report that my homepage below isn't valid
either (3 vanilla errors, 1 fatal error). One of these days I'll go back and fix
my old pages...

---

@ 2001-10-01 15:44         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-10-01 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <pV%t7.11184$ev2.17092@www.newsranger.com>, Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:
> In article <5ee5b646.0109300515.760595cc@posting.google.com>, Robert Dewar
> says...
>>
>>That's really horrible! I have notified our Web people
>>to check it out. As someone who always deletes IE from
>>any machine I get my hands on, and replaces it with
>>Netscape, that won't do! I can by the way see the page
>>just fine with my old V4 Netscape on OS/2.
>
> (My first reply got lost in the ether. My apologies if both show up.)
>
> I'm in pretty much the same boat, except that I keep InternetExploder around as
> an emergency backup. If this is an issue that you care deeply about, I highly
> suggest you mandate use of the HTML validator at http://validator.w3.org/ , and
> require that no pages get posted unless all errors and warnings are fixed. I
> have come to consider that page my HTML "compiler".

While I also encourage the use of http://validator.w3.org/ every time
I have an opportunity to make such a comment, I believe this _particular_
error is not caught by that tool.  I know it does not catch pages that
specify one of (text or background) but not the other, which in the
case of white and black will lead to errors on half the browsers in
use (depending on how their defaults are set).

So while http://validator.w3.org/ is good, it too has some defects.

* Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-10-01 16:25           ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-10-01 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8ubgEAAHWFxg@eisner.encompasserve.org>, Larry Kilgallen says...

>In article <pV%t7.11184$ev2.17092@www.newsranger.com>, Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com> writes:
>> have come to consider that page my HTML "compiler".
>
>While I also encourage the use of http://validator.w3.org/ every time
>I have an opportunity to make such a comment, I believe this _particular_
>error is not caught by that tool.  I know it does not catch pages that

Well yes. Just like any compiler (including Ada compilers), it can't catch every
conceivable usage error. But the more machine help you have, the better.

---
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

* Quality checking of code (Was: Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?)
@ 2001-10-02  6:32         ` Anders Wirzenius
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2001-10-02  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message
<5ee5b646.0110010616.5b332f1a@posting.google.com>...
>dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote in message
>
>> It turns out that *only* netscape 6 handles this page
>> properly. The HTML says white text on a white background
>> (yes, yes, that's not a very good choice :-) :-) and both
>> IE, and Netscape 4 fail to follow this direction. We will
>> fix it, thanks for pointing it out
>
>This is now fixed, and the text is black on white, and
>fussy netscape 6 can now read it :-)

FWIW:
A way to do syntax checking on code is to view it using an editor showing
the items with syntax highlighting(comments are green, tags are blue,
attributes are red, attribute values are yellow...).
I viewed the code in the lower frame on the
http://www.act-europe.fr/texts/news/product_updates/newfeatures_set.htm
through such an editor and it revealed for example a missing '=' between the
attribute marginwidth and the value "0" in  the <body> tag. The file name
appeared as prod_newfeature.htm:
topmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth"0" text="black"
background="../../../media/fond.gif">

>In future, it is a good idea to send a note of a problem
>with our web site to report@gnat.com. I only occasionally
>read CLA, and skip most threads, so if the only notification of such a
>problem is in CLA, it is likely
>to be missed.

Done

>Robert Dewar
>Ada Core Technologies

Anders Wirzenius

* GNAT reporting, was (Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?)
@ 2001-10-02  6:40         ` Anders Wirzenius
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2001-10-02  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message
<5ee5b646.0110010616.5b332f1a@posting.google.com>...
>dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote in message
>
>In future, it is a good idea to send a note of a problem
>with our web site to report@gnat.com. I only occasionally
>read CLA, and skip most threads, so if the only notification of such a
>problem is in CLA, it is likely
>to be missed.
>
>Robert Dewar
>Ada Core Technologies

I posted something to this thread and put report@gnat.com in the Cc field
and got the following reply:

<quote>
Your message to report@gnat.com is being returned unopened.
We could not process your request.

If you are a supported customer, please follow the procedure
that was communicated to you.

If you are reporting a problem with the public version of GNAT,
please use a meaningful subject line containing the string
"GNAT".

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but we need to follow
these rules to make sure that customer problems are properly
processed at high priority, and that report@gnat.com is
protected from spam. Thanks for your cooperation.

Thank you for using GNAT.

-- The GNAT support team

</quote>

I'll try once again by including "GNAT" in the subject line.

Anders Wirzenius

* Re: GNAT reporting, was (Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?)
@ 2001-10-02 10:07           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-10-02 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Anders Wirzenius" <anders.wirzenius@pp.qnet.fi> wrote in message news:<Rjdu7.35$3e4.2421@read2.inet.fi>...
> I posted something to this thread and put report@gnat.com
> in the Cc field and got the following reply:

Messages to report@gnat.com should go only to report@gnat.com to avoid
any problem with chatter in
replies to other addresses. Thanks for following this rule.
> I'll try once again by including "GNAT" in the subject
> line.

As noted, the string GNAT is required in the subject line
as a spam preventer. But of course this is OBE since the
problem has been fixed as noted with posts to this group.

* Re: Quality checking of code
@ 2001-10-02 12:31           ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-10-02 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Anders Wirzenius" <anders.wirzenius@pp.qnet.fi> writes:

> >This is now fixed, and the text is black on white, and
> >fussy netscape 6 can now read it :-)
>
> FWIW:
> A way to do syntax checking on code is to view it using an editor showing
> the items with syntax highlighting(comments are green, tags are blue,
> attributes are red, attribute values are yellow...).

Of course, the proper way to check the syntax of HTML documents is to
use a SGML validator.  Although some editors contain with fairly
complete SGML parsers, special tools do a much better job.  (The
syntactic requirements of SGML-based HTML are quite complex.)

After all, in order to check the syntax of an Ada program, you don't
use a text editor, right?

* Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?
@ 2001-10-02 12:52         ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2001-10-02 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
:
: If this is an issue that you care deeply about, I highly
: suggest you mandate use of the HTML validator at
: http://validator.w3.org/ , and

There exists an excellent, and free (incl. sources), conforming
SGML system by James Clark, including several checkers and translators,
at http://www.jclark.com/sp/index.htm.
If your HTML document passes that, you can have some confidence
in the HTML text, no matter what browser.

-- Georg
---
This page is best viewed as text.

* Re: GNAT reporting, was (Re: anyone has link for 3.14 release notes or feature list?)
@ 2001-10-02 13:54           ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2001-10-02 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anders Wirzenius wrote:
> I posted something to this thread and put report@gnat.com in the Cc field
> and got the following reply:

Perhaps they've changed their policy.  message used to include
that they didn't accept "crossposted" messages at 'report'

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: Quality checking of code
@ 2001-10-02 18:24             ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2001-10-02 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer <Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE> wrote in message news:<tgpu86mdel.fsf_-_@mercury.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>...
> Of course, the proper way to check the syntax of HTML documents is to
> use a SGML validator.  Although some editors contain with fairly
> complete SGML parsers, special tools do a much better job.  (The
> syntactic requirements of SGML-based HTML are quite complex.)

Of course, as I understand it, there was no syntax error
in our page, just a poor choice of colors (white on white)
that for some reason was mishandled (in a user friendly
manner) by both IE (all versions) and older versions of
Netscape :-)

* Re: Quality checking of code
@ 2001-10-02 19:42               ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2001-10-02 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5ee5b646.0110021024.74e392ef@posting.google.com>, Robert Dewar
says...
>Of course, as I understand it, there was no syntax error
>in our page, just a poor choice of colors (white on white)
>that for some reason was mishandled (in a user friendly
>manner) by both IE (all versions) and older versions of
>Netscape :-)

That's correct, as far as the original problem was concerned. However, it would
not be perfectly true to say that "there was no syntax error on that page". In
fact, there were and still are several. For one thing, there is no <!DOCTYPE>
tag, as required by the standard. That's a fatal error for the W3C validator,
and it can check no further. If I tell it to assume HTML 3.2 and ignore the
(bad) header, it pulls 10 syntax errors.

At least one of those errors is quite visible to Mozilla. The entire contents of
the main frame were put into a hyperlink with the rather amusing target of
"(Empty Reference!)". Due to this error, any attempt to click *anywhere* within
that frame with my Mozilla browser nets me a page transition to:

Not Found
The requested URL /texts/news/product_updates/(Empty Reference!) was not found
on this server.

---
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.