From: Hubert <herrdoktor@fumanchu.com>
Subject: Re: What is your opinion on Global Objects?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:31:41 -0800
Date: 2014-11-20T17:31:41-08:00	[thread overview]

> As you have pointed out, either way is a double-edged sword; one programmers rigid and inflexible code is another programmers safe and reliable code, and all engineering is compromise.  That being said, in my experiences, the only proven way to know when the customer is going to change the requirements is when he says they are never going to change the requirements.  For something like a game, assuming a fixed number (especially one) of anything is a surefire way to incur massive rework.  Suppose, for instance, the game evolves to a multiplayer version; a server might need to host a dynamic and always changing number of game engines.

Our game is already a multiplayer game and although your a=point about
customers changing their mind is generally true, in a scenario like ours
it is not since we are customers, designers and programmers in one team,
so there is no need to consider outside people or rather people with
little understanding of how their ideas look when being realized in
software and thus be likely to change their minds once they see the result.

Also, our software world does not so much consist of active objects or
whatever is used in web or phone apps these days. Think of it more like
an old fashioned mainframe system. Once it runs there will be changes
for upgrades of course but nothing that requires a quick implementation
or rapid reaction to changing demands, so the "inflexible" argument does
not affect our case, although it may be important to consider in other
scenarios.

---