* Gnat Compiling Sage-St Ada Code?
@ 2002-09-12  5:49 NonStickSpam
From: NonStickSpam @ 2002-09-12  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to compile some Ada Sage-St code with the Gnat compiler
(translator), and am having problems.  I can compile a very simple ada
program that prints out text, etc.. so gnat works fine with that.  I can
open Sage DFL's with the Sage tools, view the relations, and everything.
So, the Sage general tools work fine.

The moment I try to compile Ada code using Sage, it gets very unhappy.  If I
have a 10 line program with a simple "with Sage;" it dies looking for
sage.ads.  I tried to link against the Sage DLL's, but without any success,
so finally I copied the SAGE.ADS code into the directory, but that blows up
in a big way trying to compile with GNAT.

So, is it possible to build an appliaction with gnat and sage.. and if so,
what arguments/paths should I use?  Or, should I be trying a different
compiler..

thanks!

* Re: Gnat Compiling Sage-St Ada Code?
@ 2002-09-13  3:04 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2002-09-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

First, just to clarify any potential misconceptions, the GNAT compiler is a
translator but only in that it translates Ada code to assembly language.
There is
no intermediate C code (intermediate representations do exist but not really
in any
way that is different than other compilers).

If you are getting errors because it can't fine sage.ads you are WAY before
the time you
need to start worring about linking in dlls. I suggest reading the GNAT
documentation.

It sounds like you need some basic instruction in how to compile so GNAT
knows which directories
to look in for code (it can't guess!)

(Hint  -I is your friend, or look at the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH variable).

Finally, I don't know if you will be able to get Sage code compiling with
GNAT or not but at the
moment, from what you describe I don't think you have even come close to
trying enough to say
either way.