From: pventura@cs.buffalo.edu (Philip R Ventura)
Subject: Re: general-purpose vs. domain-specific programming languages
Date: 1998/01/09
Date: 1998-01-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <6956pq$mnu@drn.zippo.com>,  <nabbasi@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Pepole nowadays are all so busy, they just want to write something that does
>the current and immediate task only without looking ahead, very few care
>about long term reusability, about maintainance, about software design,
>about intergation, etc.., it is a world of hacking, and short time-to-market,
>and quick fixes and bug releases. That is why they are so busy, busy
>fixing buggy software and trying to understand what the previous
>programmers were trying to write, and here comes a language like Perl
>to help us out from the software crisis we are in.

Perl is ten years old.  Besides one of the stated design goals is as a
"glue" language for quickly hacking together ad hoc scripts.  As far
as readability Perl does have its quirks.  Hardly the panacea you
propose.  But then again one can write crappy code in any language,
even Ada ;)

Just Another Perl Hacker

--
Phil Ventura			  phone:  645-3772