From: holmes@MIMSY.CS.UMD.EDU  (Holmes S. Liao)
Subject: Re: Building OSF/Motif Interfaces with Ada
Date: 1 Jun 93 04:31:01 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <1993May28.233328.8114@alsys.com> garym@alsys.com (Gary Morris @igni
te) writes:
>That announcement was posted only to comp.newprod because commercial
>announcements are not permitted on the INFO-ADA mailing list (which is
>gatewayed to/from comp.lang.ada) according to AJPO guidelines.
>--
>Gary Morris                      Internet: garym@alsys.com

Then may I ask why Alsys' Linda posted a pointer announcement after I posted
the original announcement from comp.newprod for Alsys? Wouldn't her post
be considered as commercial announcement as well? What about Aharonian's
post about seeking business partners? His post didn't even mention *Ada*.

Strangest thing happened to me: I've been getting many flames/complaints
from Alsys employees after I did Alsys a BIG favour by pointing Alsys' Ada
on OSF/Motif GUI seminar to the Ada community. (After 4 ~ 5 complaints from
folks at Alsys I had to write a script to junk any mail from alsys.com. :-))

I have to admit I joked a little about Alsys' trying to kiss off Ada.
Apparently none of those who flamed me took it too well. They didn't even
have the guts to admit that the announcement was in the not-so-appropriate
place. (It's like running an ad on F-16 fighter jet on Motor Trend.)
Instead they chose to defend Alsys' ill-fated marketing tactics.

BTW, the many posts I've seen on comp.newprod are about *products*, either
software or hardware, not stuff like seminar. Is that weird or what?

holmes liao