From: adacrypt <austin.obyrne@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: True or False ?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 03:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-06-17T03:35:51-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:37:17 AM UTC+1, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Austin writes on comp.lang.ada:
> > Do you know if these sort programs are used in real world programming
> > today ?
>
> In our two-million-line mission-critical software we use heap sort and
> tree sort but not quick sort.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Many thanks.

I have never heard of heap save - is this to be found in academic books?
I'm taking it then that there has not been any huge advance in sorting methods over the past twenty years.

Could I pick your brains a bit further.

My scheme is ideal for accessing vast programs of millions of lines of source code like you mentioned - I tag every variable as it is being keyed in at the outset (at creation time) and then disable it until it is needed (I comment it out ) and if I do need it I simply uncomment it for sorting by a specially developed sorting method.  The tags can be stored up front or even stored in a file in memory for systematic calling by the main program

Perhaps you would have a look at this new method later when I go public.

Question - would it call it a big asset to improve on sorting methods? - given that there is so much computer power available to day - poor or even bad methods are getting by without notice?

Many thanks for your help again.

Regards - Austin.