From: Jere <jhb.chat@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Potential Coextension Bug in GNAT
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 03:32:03 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2018-12-21T03:32:03-08:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 9:25:42 PM UTC-5, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> <SNIPPED>
>
> So it does look like a GNAT bug. There is the possibility that they are
> associating the discriminant with the temporary object associated with the
> allocator, and not the return object, but that seems unnecessarily
> unfriendly of an interpretation. And it would be wrong for any type that
> requires built-in-place (I didn't look at the actual declaration of the
> type). I think the rules are supposed to prevent that interpretation, but
> whether they really do is an interesting question that I have no interest in
> exploring.
Ok, that makes me feel better.  I was concerned I was misinterpreting the
RM about the function return (for build in place).  The type was limited,
which I believe requires it to be build in place.

> P.S. Did I mention I hate coextensions?? They provide an endless opportunity
> to puzzle over rules that really don't matter in the end (and most likely
> aren't quite right). I suppose they've helped me keep employed running the
> ARG. :-)

Overall, they aren't super useful and are not very intuitive.  I don't know
the history for why they were added to the language though.  I will say
they do provide one thing to Ada that no other feature in the language
seems to, so there is that.  But I don't know the cost versus reward of them.