From: Dale Stanbrough <dale@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU>
Subject: Re: Why it was a bad idea to drop The Mandate.
Date: 1997/12/18
Date: 1997-12-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"I notice that you're using present tense.  Would you expect
 that the majority of C code written ten or fifteen years ago
 will compile correctly on these modern compilers and run
 successfully on a current UNIX or Windows machine?"

Said Bob Munck, replying to my claim that the C standard is
fairly well established.

<supposition mode>
I thought that the current C standard has been around for a few
years now. This is not to say of course, that programmers have
been following it's advise (just count how many programs don't
start with

	int main (...

I don't know how much code would run. If it doesn't I don't
think it would be because of a fault of the language (although
I'm not sure exactly when the standard was finalised, or what
has changed since then).
<suppostion mode off>

Dale