From: Alexis <jose_alexis_paez_thurgood@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gnat cross compiler
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 00:31:25 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2010-05-21T00:31:25-07:00	[thread overview]

> > So far GCC and libgcc have been built fine, but when I try to use i686-
> > elf-gcc to compile an Ada program I get the following error:
>
> > $ i686-elf-gcc -c hello.adb
> > fatal error, run-time library not installed correctly
> > cannot locate file system.ads
> > compilation abandoned
>
> > Thinking that this might solve the problem I've tried to build libada
> > following the same procedure for libgcc (make all-target-libada), only
> > to get multiple compilation errors such as (extract for a much larger
> > log):
>
> I could create one for Windows -> Linux (Windows -> Mac still pending),
> using MinGW.
>
> What I can say: there is a --with-sysroot option in the configuration. You
> must care a lot about what is contained in the directory you pass as the
> --with-sysroot option. There may also be troubles due to the differences
> of the directory structure on Windows compared to the one of
> Linux/UNIX-like... but I guess the latter should not be a trouble with
> Cygwin.
>
> I would like to advice to check twice all of what is related to sysroot or
> to --includedir or --libdir, if you use these.
>
> Cannot tell more, as this would be too much work otherwise (building a
> cross compiler is really not a piece of cake)
>
> Wish you to succeed

Thanks for your reply. I have decided to stop trying to compile libada
and have managed to get the cross compiler to work by setting the RTS
option to \cygwin\lib\gcc\i686-pc-cygwin\4.3.4, which is where the
adainclude and adalib for the ada compiler bundled with Cygwin.

So far so good, but this makes me wonder, what is the RTS used for? Is
this now a real cross compiler as I'm using the RTS for the i686-pc-
cygwin target?

My guess is I should be using a proper i696-elf Ada RTS, right?

Best regards, Alexis.