From: dennis@tfsg.UUCP (Dennis Gibbs)
Subject: Design/Development questions
Date: 5 Jun 90 18:56:01 GMT	[thread overview]

<>

I have a couple of hypothetical questions regarding C and Ada:

1) If you have a software design, all things  being equal, if you implement
   the design in both Ada and C, which implementation will have the highest
   number of lines of code, the C implementation or the Ada implementation?
   How much percentage-wise(more or less) on  average, would the difference
   be?

2) I remember  seeing various  studies that  show the length of time spent
   developing software  systems from  the earliest design  stages to final
   delivery.  Again, in a perfect world, would  it take more  or less time
   to  design and develop in  Ada vs. C?  I am  excluding the maintenance/
   enhancement phase in  this question.  If I recall I believe I have seen
   studies somewhere that  show that  it takes  the same  amount  of  time
   overall to design and develop in Ada vs. other languages, but that more
   time is spent in design and less spent in coding for Ada.  Can  someone
   direct me to any studies that investigate this issue?

I do not wish to start  more C vs. Ada flame wars again, my purpose is  to
start an informative, educational discussion on this subject....

Dennis Gibbs
...uunet!tfsg!dennis
(703) 802-1961