From: hm@uva.UUCP (HansM)
Subject: Two questions
Date: 29 Mar 89 09:16:26 GMT	[thread overview]

We are trying to understand Ada tasking and there are two things we fail to
understand:

1. When an exception is raised and not handled in a task body, the task
   is terminated and the exception is not further propagated, without
   notice (11.4.1.8).  Why is this?
   Is there a way to invoke the kind of traceback that occurs when an
   exception is propagated out of the main program?

2. When a task has completed its execution, termination is delayed until all
   dependent tasks have terminated (9.4.6).  As a result, our program
   fills up all memory with completed tasks unable to terminate.  Why is
   this?  Can something be done about it (without altering task dependency)?

We have the impression that Ada was designed to deal with a small
number of large tasks, whereas we are trying to create a large number
of small tasks.  Is this true?  Does it matter?

Can anybody enlighten us?

AdvTHANKSance

Hans Mulder		Sjouke Mauw
hm@uva.uucp		sjouke@uva.uucp