* How should I access variable length data associated with message headers?
@ 1997-12-12  0:00 R. Michael Gillmore
From: R. Michael Gillmore @ 1997-12-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was reading the FAQ this afternoon when this question caught my
attention:

2.6:    I came across some code that declared a structure with the last
        member an array of one element, and then did some tricky
        allocation to make it act like the array had several elements.
        Is this legal or portable?

A:      An official interpretation has deemed that it is not strictly
        conforming with the C Standard.

I have done this for nearly as long as I have been writing C.  Is
there another method to use for this?

--
R. Michael "Okie" Gillmore
Use: rmgillmo @ cca.rockwell.com

First law of parenting:

"...  I have nourished and brought up children, and they have
 rebelled against me."
				-- Isaiah 1:2

* Re: How should I access variable length data associated with message headers?
@ 1997-12-12  0:00 ` R. Michael Gillmore
From: R. Michael Gillmore @ 1997-12-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Michael Gillmore wrote:

> I was reading the FAQ this afternoon when this question caught my
> attention:
>
> 2.6:    I came across some code that declared a structure with the last
>         member an array of one element, and then did some tricky
>         allocation to make it act like the array had several elements.
>         Is this legal or portable?
>
> A:      An official interpretation has deemed that it is not strictly
>         conforming with the C Standard.
>
> I have done this for nearly as long as I have been writing C.  Is
> there another method to use for this?
>
> --
> R. Michael "Okie" Gillmore
> Use: rmgillmo @ cca.rockwell.com
>
> First law of parenting:
>
> "...  I have nourished and brought up children, and they have
>  rebelled against me."
>                                 -- Isaiah 1:2

Sorry ... Wrong news group.  Please excuse me.

Mike
--

@ 1997-12-15  0:00   ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1997-12-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> 2.6:    I came across some code that declared a structure with the last
>>         member an array of one element, and then did some tricky
>>         allocation to make it act like the array had several elements.
>>         Is this legal or portable?
>> A:      An official interpretation has deemed that it is not strictly
>>         conforming with the C Standard.

> Sorry ... Wrong news group.  Please excuse me.

No, it was posted to the right newsgroup.